Old 07-17-2006, 09:06 AM   #1  
LLV

Default This Week's Healthiest Food - Blueberries

http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...cf68e93580e481

Love 'em! I'll eat anything blueberry. From fresh or frozen blueberries to blueberry ice cream, blueberry pie (I know, these are bad things, but it's "anything blueberry!") blueberry cereal, blueberry cakes or pastries (definite things of the past for me) blueberry blueberry blueberry. If it's blueberry, I'll eat it. Or, in the case of the pies and pastries and such, I USED to eat it.

How do you eat yours?
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:18 AM   #2  
Meg

Yum, I'm addicted to them too.

I eat 'em plain, mix them in cottage cheese or yogurt, or make Fiber One muffins out of them. If I had a bad sweet tooth thing going, I'll mix them in some SF vanilla pudding for dessert. For true decadence, I'll stir in a little Kashi GoLean cereal.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:12 AM   #3  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Fresh or frozen.. it's all good.

I eat them plain, in my oatmeal, ontop of cut fruit.. like melons or peaches (makes it look real pretty), in yogurt.

Warning: I bought a bag of dried blueberries from Costco cause they have some nice dried fruit.. like the apricots. When I got it home I realized it had corn syrup added! I should have read the label IN the store.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:12 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've actually "binged" on blueberries before...
Now, I'm more careful and basically don't eat them alone. I alternate which fruits I add to cottage cheese or yogurt. My current fruit is strawberries (big bag from Costco), next trip I think will be blueberries (another big bag from Costco).

Linda, speaking of bad, how about this... blueberry shortcake. It beats the pants off of any strawberry shortcake. Now of course, there are healthier ways to eat our healthy fruit

Meg, I love Kashi Go Lean as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:56 AM   #5  
hara hachi bu

I buy them in season and freeze them for later use. I add fresh ones to cereal with milk, yogurt with cereal and nuts, cottage cheese ... occasionally I'll even eat a handful of them frozen.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:01 AM   #6  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

I em! I eat them in my oatmeal, plain, or as a sugar-free trifle--sugar free angel food cake, sugar free whipped cream, sugar free vanilla pudding and blueberries---YUM
Walmart has a sugar free, fat free angel food cake that is 450 calories for the ENTIRE cake! I usually use this for my trifles, even if I eat 2 pieces I'm still not eating many calories!
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #7  

I love them too, I eat them mixed with my Dorset Cereals muesli and yoghurt, or with oatmeal in winter. I eat em alone, or mixed with cottage cheese.

I adore them and can't believe something so pretty and yummy is actually good for you!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:24 AM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie
Linda, speaking of bad, how about this... blueberry shortcake. It beats the pants off of any strawberry shortcake. Now of course, there are healthier ways to eat our healthy fruit
Mmmmmmm, blueberry shortcake. I'd go nuts over that! Or should I say I'd go "berries" over that?

lol
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I am learning to love them too!

However, I had a very bad experience with blueberry yogurt as a child and have developed what they call a "taste aversion" to blueberry yogurt. Luckily, this doesn't extend to blueberries in other forms.

Meg, mind sharing that recipe for the muffins with the blueberries? I'm thinking that I'm ready to end my baking moratorium and I need some healthy recipes!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:55 PM   #10  
Meg

Coming right up!

Fiber One Muffins

I cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup Splenda

1 1/2 cups Fiber One cereal
1/2 cup boiling water

1/4 cup Eggbeaters or egg whites
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup nonfat or lowfat buttermilk
1/2 cup raisins

Blend dry ingredients together in a bowl (flour, salt, Splenda, and baking soda). Soak Fiber One in hot water until all the water is absorbed. Mix together wet ingredients (buttermilk, Eggbeaters, applesauce) and stir into dry mixture along with Fiber One just until lightly mixed. Do not overstir!

Divide batter into 12 muffins in tin sprayed with PAM and bake at 375 until browned - about 20 minutes.

Per muffin:

80 calories
1 g fat
20 g carbs (5 g fiber)
3 g protein

Variations: Add a cup or two of fresh blueberries and a teaspoon of cinnamon. Or for gingerbread muffins, add 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon cloves.

These are awesome portable food with FF cream cheese or natural PB (or plain ).
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:40 PM   #11  

Thanks, Meg!!! They sound yummy! And I think I'm to the point where I won't eat them all if I make them -- the big reason for the baking moratorium!
Old 07-17-2006, 02:39 PM   #12  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Oh my! I have blueberries and all the other ingredients. The AC is on so I'll bake Meg's Muffins!

I am absolutely addicted to fresh blueberries and have eaten a whole quart in a day just snacking! A bit too miuch fiber!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:46 PM   #13  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn
I won't eat them all if I make them -- the big reason for the baking moratorium!
Yep, exactly!

I can also make those pumpkin/spice-cake muffins without eating all of them in one sitting ... we use them for breakfasts.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:22 PM   #14  

It would be good to have more high protein or fiber options for breakfast!
Old 07-17-2006, 08:45 PM   #15  

Default Muffin Report!

Okay, I decided it was time to try some new things, and I went out and bought all the ingredients for Meg's muffins and made them!

They were good! Other than the aftertaste of the splenda. I think next time I will make them with sugar, as there's only 2/3 cup and that would add about 10 cals/muffin. Then I'll try it with splenda later... I find that sometimes it just takes me a while to get used to things like that.

What's more, hubby like them too! A lot! He ate 2 without thinking! Actually, it stunned me that he liked them as much as he did, as he has been more difficult to please with some of these new foods.

so, they were a hit!

I want the pumpkin muffin recipe next!

Thanks Meg!