Old 07-17-2006, 08:54 PM   #16  
Meg

Woo hoo! I'm so glad you like them and especially DH. Husbands are the worst, aren't they? Mine is adamant about not trying 95% of what I make for myself. Of course, he's 6' and 160 pounds, so I can't really pressure him.

I'm lucky that I'm one of those people who can't taste an aftertaste with Splenda - must be my dull tastebuds. If you're going to use real sugar, perhaps try brown sugar for a little more flavor? And I imagine the recipe could be tweaked with nuts too.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:17 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

ooh... brown sugar! excellent idea. I actually haven't liked nuts in food in the past, but it's a Whole New World and I might now!

also, hubby definitely doesn't like raisins, so I left them out but the blueberries were just so excellent.

Had another one this morning and loved it again. I can't believe I can bake something, love it, and not be tempted to eat it all at once...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:42 PM   #18  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I love blueberries. These days I mostly just put them in my breakfast cereal but I also love them with plain yogurt. I used to bake with them, but I'm not doing that so much these days. I'll have to try Meg's muffins, though.

Here is something a little different and it's one of my favorite fish recipes. The combination of blueberries and fresh sage is great.

Halibut with Blueberry-Pepper Sauce
4 5- to 6-ounce fresh or frozen halibut steaks or fillets, or sea bass or salmon fillets, about 1-inch thick
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 teaspoon snipped fresh sage
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup garlic croutons, coarsely crushed (or plain bread crumbs)
1/4 cup snipped fresh sage
1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel (or lemon peel)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons orange juice (or lemon juice)
1 tablespoon olive oil

1. Make Blueberry-Pepper Sauce: In a medium bowl mash 3/4 cup of the blueberries with a potato masher or fork. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup blueberries, the 1 teaspoon sage, and the 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cover and chill until ready to serve.

2. In a small bowl combine crushed croutons, the 1/4 cup sage, the orange or lemon peel, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in orange or lemon juice and 1 tablespoon olive oil until lightly moistened; set aside.

3. Grill or broil fish. When halfway done, turn fish and top it evenly with crouton mixture, gently pressing onto fish.

4. To serve, place fish on serving platter and top with Blueberry-Pepper Sauce.

Makes 4 servings. Nutritional info (for recipe made with 24 oz halibut): 320 calories, 8g fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 53mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 22g carbs, 2.5g fiber, 5.5g sugar, 38g protein.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:02 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Barbara, that sounds yummy!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #20  
LLV

I'd have my blueberries for breakfast tomorrow but I don't eat breakfast anymore

Oh well, I'll throw them on top of some oatmeal for a snack.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:11 PM   #21  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Blueberries and fish.. I gotta try this!
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote