Old 07-10-2006, 03:35 PM   #16  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
Jayde, I switched from peanut oil to canola oil, and then started reading articles that made me think I'd made a mistake.
Save me from making the same mistake... why do you think it was a mistake?
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #17  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

I know the feeling!

I've read that there's nothing wrong with canola oil itself, but the way it's processed puts in lots of bad stuff that we think we're avoiding. Sorry I can't be more technical than that -- I haven't seen any "cold pressed canola oil," and you can find cold-pressed safflower and other (I hope peanut) oils.

Anyway, I gather that if you use canola oil, you might as wel just chug margarine. I am NOT a definitive source on this, though. I've read articles that say STOP using peanut oil! switch to canola!
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #18  
The Beauty of Balance

Xan,
It is exactly the unnatural state of canola oil that makes me think about switching. I know now is safer than it once was... but just the idea that it is so artificial is enough to make me want to stop using it.

So what is it about peanut oil? I think if I quit using canola it would be either safflower of peanut oil... I think I've got a lot of reading to do before I do change.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:54 PM   #19  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Jayde, what you just wrote is EXACTLY what prompted my post. What to do? what to do?

I bought canola oil, canola/butter spread, mayo with canola oil. then I read about the problems.

Went out and bought safflower oil, mayo with safflower oil. then I read about smokepoint (safflower oil is great for salad dressings, but not for cooking).

So I was about to go back to peanut oil (I'd assume walnut, almond, etc would be the same idea) but wanted to check to see if anyone else had researched this.

Extending oily handshake.....Glad to meet you!
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:59 PM   #20  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
Extending oily handshake.....Glad to meet you!
Aha, now I got it... I'll lurk for awhile on this thread to see what others say.

If at all possible I use olive oil... even for cooking the vegetables you mentioned in your first post. It's really higher heat or frying that I'm concerned about.. oh.. and oil for baking...

Returning the oily handshake... the oil on my hand is peanut butter though.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:44 PM   #21  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I don't go through oil that fast and I don't want to have a ton of different kinds sitting in my cupboard (I have had oil go rancid on me), so I pretty much use olive oil for everything (sauteing, baking, whatever). I figure olive oil is tried and true, so I'm pretty safe with it. I buy it at Trader Joe's, which sells it cheaper than what they sell it for at mainstream grocery stores. I have a small bottle of toasted sesame oil that I use when a recipe calls for it.

If a recipe calls for butter, I use light margarine (although I'll have to look into the light butter--I hadn't seen that product). I'd like to get away from margarine because of the trans fats in it.

I have a spray bottle of olive oil that I use as my non-stick cooking spray (which I also got at Trader Joe's). I'd probably just use this to scramble an egg.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:07 PM   #22  
Working My Way Back Down

I use olive oil for most things. I don't really fry anything except eggs for my DH - and I do those in butter. (Hey, the man struggles to get up to 140, and has cholesterol in the low 100's) I do use a commerical spray for casserole dishes. I had one of the pampered chef ones, but it has disappeared I have a small bottle of sesame oil for Asian type dishes. I stopped using canola after reading some of "those" articles a few years back. I've never tried any of the nut oils, but I'll bet they're good, esp in salad dressings or other places you want the flavor.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:39 AM   #23  
The Beauty of Balance

I've decided to stick with canola for the time being.. I don't use it much as olive oil is my preferred oil. I think compared to many Amercian diets my omega-6 and omega-3's are in good proportion... so I wonder if the canola is really necessary. But I'm still looking into this decision.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:47 AM   #24  

I use olive oil for cooking. DH turned up his little nose at eggs cooked in olive oil, but is now converted. I think the olive flavour helps the eggs along a bit!

I have pumpkin oil that I put very sparingly on salads or pasta, it's delicious.

I use hemp oil on salads too, a great source of Omega 3,6 and9.

I don't like canola, the after taste isn't to my taste. I use peanut sometimes for Chinese cooking.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:59 AM   #25  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I use olive oil where I need to for cooking purposes, but I don't really cook that much with oil anywhoo - we have some nice Tefal pans for dry frying and I barely bake and I'm not home to do the whole cooking dinner thing!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:01 PM   #26  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I very rarely use oil, but when I do, it depends on the dish as to what type I use. For eggs and such, I just use Pam (err, store brand Pam butter-flavored stuff). For anything Italian, I use olive oil. For anything Asianor Hawaiian, I use macadamia nut oil. I've heard wonderful things about macadamia nut oil, but it sure is pricey! But like I said, I almost never use oil, so a little bottle of the mac nut oil has lasted me a good 3 months already, and I'm not even halfway through it
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:31 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I just saw avocado oil in the store yesterday - nearly 10 bucks for a little bottle! I told myself I couldn't buy it until I use up the walnut oil I just bought at Trader Joe's (only 3 bucks, much more reasonable).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:38 PM   #28  
Fat-be-gone

I hate cooking with oil. I'd rather use a good non-stick, which I haven't bought yet. So for now, I use olive. And for scrambled eggs, a little bit of butter.
Rosario is offline   Reply With Quote