3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Nutrition and Labeling (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/nutrition-labeling-175/)
-   -   This Week's Healthiest Food - Strawberries (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/nutrition-labeling/85831-weeks-healthiest-food-strawberries.html)

LLV 06-01-2006 09:38 AM

This Week's Healthiest Food - Strawberries

http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...cf68e93580e481

Yum! :T

How do you like to eat them?

phantastica 06-01-2006 09:48 AM

I like them with chocolate on them most of all, but I seldom eat them that way. I put them through my egg slicer and put them on cereal or in yogurt for breakfast. I also eat them as an on-the-go snack.

FrouFrou 06-01-2006 10:02 AM

In shakes that I make and just dip them in fat free cool whip, yummy! :T

Meg 06-01-2006 10:04 AM

I've been eating them sliced in salads. :)

cardsfan2009 06-01-2006 11:50 AM

Any way you can name, i eat them that way. They are my absolute favorite fruit. Ill slice them and put some splenda on top and eat them for a snack or ill put them in a bowl with yogurt and granola for breakfast. Really good

kykaree 06-01-2006 11:55 AM

I make a strawberry and spinach salad with sunflower seeds and balsamic and tahini dressing. It's gorgeous.

I love them chopped and stirred through porridge (oatmeal)

Chopped and stirred through Greek 0% fat yoghurt.

In a protein shake with half a banana, chocolate protein powder and skim milk.

Sliced in a bowl and topped with a Skinny Cow strawberry ice cream pot.

Straight out of the box in front of the telly or whilst reading 3FC.

Elaine1951 06-01-2006 11:56 AM

Thanks for the great website!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLV
http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...cf68e93580e481

Yum! :T

How do you like to eat them?

Thank you for the great website.

All the best.

telemetrynurse 06-02-2006 04:46 PM

I :love: strawberries! One of my favorite uses of strawberries is to make a trifle---
I use a fat free, sugar free angel food cake

I make a mix of sugar-free whipped cream with sugar-free cheesecake pudding

And I slice strawberries

I alternate layers and it is soooooooo delicious! Sometimes I also use blueberries in this. It makes a pretty July 4th dessert! YUMMMMMM.......

ValRock 06-02-2006 04:47 PM

Alll by themselves, or frozen and in my morning shake!

telemetrynurse 06-02-2006 09:04 PM

Strawberry Balsamic Sauce
Yield: 1/2 cup
1/2 cup finely chopped strawberries
2 tablespoons finely diced red onions
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (preferably aged)
1 tablespoon water
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 to 2 teaspoons sugar or splenda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1. In a 2 cup glass measuring pitcher or other microwaveable container, combine the strawberries, onion, vinegar, water, and pepper. Heat, uncovered, on high power for 2 minutes. Stir, and heat for an additional 1 to 2 minutes until onions are softened.
2. Using a fork, stir sauce and press fork tines against larger pieces of berries and onions to crush them. Stir in sugar and salt. Sauce may be made ahead and reheated before serving. Serve slightly warm, but not hot.
Tip:
Refrigerate Strawberry Balsamic Sauce for up to one week or freeze for up to one month. This sauce is also delicious served with grilled halibut, grilled salmon, boneless chicken breasts, or pork tenderloin.

jtammy 06-02-2006 09:12 PM

Strawberries, plain yogurt with splenda and vanilla flavoring, topped with T. grapenuts

Sliced strawberries with T. heavy whipped cream w/splenda and a sprinkling of cocoa

I love it!

LLV 06-03-2006 11:50 AM

Wonderful yummies, everyone :)

And Elaine, you're welcome. I love that site. Lots of great information.

jillybean720 06-03-2006 09:28 PM

Did you know the strawberry is not, in fact, a berry? It is actually considered a "false berry" because actual berries contain their seeds on the inside, whereas strawberries' seeds are on the outside. I'm just chock full of random knowledge that doesn't really matter :p:dizzy:

Anyway, I buy 5-pound bags of frozen strawberries (fresh are too expensive--$3 a pound? I don't think so...). I throw a generous handful of frozen strawberries, a banana, and some skim milk in a blender--YUM!

Siena1383 06-03-2006 11:12 PM

Mostly I eat them plain. I pack them for lunch, though they often don't make it till lunch. But if I eat them as a mid-morning snack instead, that's okay, too.

Sometimes I eat them in a bowl of skim milk. They flavor the milk so it's palatable to drink, so I get a serving of milk in that way.

Like Val, I put frozen ones in my breakfast shake -- which is, actually, nothing more than strawbs and skim milk blended together.

One stawberry chopped up goes a long way in a salad of mixed greens.

And then there's strawberry cheesecake <sigh>. Well, here's a recipe I just thought of on the spot: Spread a graham cracker with ricotta cheese and top it with a sliced strawberry, and you sorta kinda have a mini cheesecake. I wonder how that would be? I'll have to get some strawbs and try it!

lovemygordie 06-03-2006 11:30 PM

Great ideas for strawberries, everyone! Thanks!

I usually have them one of the following ways: by themselves, in a fruit salad (usually with things like blueberries, kiwi, and raspberries), on top of cereal, in yogurt, or in spinach salad with a little feta and balsamic vinegar.