Old 11-01-2020, 03:53 AM   #1  

Default Mini Habits for Weight Loss

Have you ever eaten a decadent slice of cheesecake, only to finish and think, "Man, I could really go for some vegetables right about now"?

If not, let me introduce you to Stephen Guise and the concept of mini habits. The idea, as conceptualized in this book, is not to take an approach of deprivation and radical change, but to make small, incremental, consistent changes that ultimately result in a permanent, healthy lifestyle. Stephen (can I call him Stephen?) is upfront from the beginning: this is not a journey of quick fixes, rapid weight loss, and cleanse diets. This is about working with the brain's natural resistance to change by fooling it into thinking you're not asking much from it. And really, you're not. If your goal is to do one push-up a day, you will find yourself down on the ground much faster than if your goal is to do 20. And once you are down there, you will do some more. It's human nature. The hard part, the decision to do a thing, is over at that point. And even on your worst day, even if you really only can do one, you've still made some forward momentum and reinforced that daily habit.

I only finished this book a couple of weeks ago, but I have already seen the changes happen. The most brilliant stroke was in never making a food craving off-limits, no matter how ridiculously unhealthy. Instead, he encourages a movement toward healthy food, a letting go of the binary way we think about eating (''I'm going to eat healthy'' vs ''I'm going to eat badly.'') As he says in his book, you know what's better than three slices of pizza? Three slices of a pizza and a salad. It's pithy and funny, but there is much wisdom here. When we're at a party, we don't have to decide between carrots and cookies. We can have both. And that realization is the spark of something rather profound. The more whole foods you eat, the more you incorporate them into your daily life, the more you want them for their own sake, not because you should eat better, or because you are desperate to lose weight, but because they are tasty and make you feel good.

My nutrition mini habit, one recommended by Stephen, is to make one healthy food upgrade a day. That means a banana with breakfast, or a vegetable with lunch, or water instead of soda for a meal... just one healthy change from the norm. What I've found, as Stephen predicted, is most days I do far more than that. Some days I find myself concocting entire meals from scratch, just because I would rather eat that. But even on my worst days, I can make that one change and feel like I have forward momentum. Thus I have found myself eating fresh vegetables alongside leftover pizza and a red bell pepper after I finished my cheesecake.

What's remarkably different from previous attempts to shift to a healthy lifestyle is that for the first time ever, it feels like a choice. Not some hard-nosed restriction I'm trying to impose on myself for my own good, but just making choices amidst the ebb and flow of everyday life (the fact that my other mini habit is sitting down on my meditation cushion before bed doesn't hurt... I am much more mindful of my eating habits based on increased meditation alone.) Even my fast food addiction is waning, not because I've forbidden it, but because I've noted that fast food generally makes me feel like crap. I'm saving my sweet tooth for higher quality desserts, stuff I really love. I'm no longer eating with an attitude of scarcity - I shouldn't be having this, I must eat it now because I can't have it later.
jacksonfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:27 AM   #2  

Default weight loss

I have been eating some vegetable to reduce my fat and it seems like its working
kna204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:34 AM   #3  

drinking orange juice helps alot
uhtred1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:09 PM   #4  

I just try to cut down on the sugars and oils it will definitely help. And adjust your diet, and voila.
MomoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:29 PM   #5  

The first thing is not to eat in 3 hours before going to bed. It is enough time for you to remove all the harmful elements from the food.
HellyBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:13 PM   #6  

I just eat small portions of food throughout the day
Tru2OnesSelf1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #7  

Love the content keep working
Health and wealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:41 PM   #8  

man you are great
pawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 205/190/160

Starting your mornings with a glass or two of water is an easy way to enhance weight loss add in lemon increases it's benifts
dols40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weigh loss, weight help, weight lose fast, weight loss adventure