Old 01-13-2006, 06:48 AM   #1  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Default Aloe vera...fibre powder?

What are your guys opinions on aloe vera(tablet form)?
Apparently its gd at aiding digestion.. If the price is right I was thinking of getting some.

and I dont think I am getting enough fibre, is it a bad idea to resort to a powder to add to foods?
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:25 AM   #2  
it's always something

Some of our members use fiber supplements, such as fiber tablets, if they don't get enough fiber in their diets. Food is always the best choice, since you get the added bonus of other nutrients. But sometimes a little extra fiber is necessary. You might try to add more fiber rich foods to your diet, such as a high fiber cereal.

Aloe vera is great for burns, but doesn't really do anything for you nutritionally. Dr. Weil says it can be useful for some digestive problems, though you need to be careful.
http://www.drweil.com/u/Article/A33/
Quote:
Aloe vera juice, sold in all health-food stores, is intended for internal use. The main use is to help heal ulcers and other irritations of the gastrointestinal tract. In high doses, aloe is an irritant laxative, so if you want it to soothe the lining of your GI tract, you must stay below the laxative dose. A reasonable amount to try is one teaspoon after meals. You can use the fresh gel, mashed up in a little fruit juice, or any commercial product that is pure. A lot of bottled aloe juice tastes nasty; shop around for a brand that is palatable.
If you are experiencing a problem like ulcers, you might want to see your doctor before treating yourself, in case there is a bigger problem that needs attention.

Hope that helps
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:30 PM   #3  

I tried the Aloe Vera liquid years ago and nasty taste doesn't even begin to cover it. Another friend ventured that it looked and smelled like urine and after that I was never able to have any again.

I've had digestive issues for more than 20 years and it honestly did nothing for me at all. YMMV of course, as we are all different.

I use to take Fiber Con fiber caplets on the advice of my gastroenterologist, but since I switched over to more whole grains and lots of veggies haven't needed them at all. I get between 35-60g of fiber a day and that is without eating trees.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:46 PM   #4  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Thanks for both of inputs
I already eat raisin bran for breakfast. but from this new series on tv this woman was eating junk food and wasnt pooping for like 2 weeks, I myself eating raisin bran, drink loads of water and try to eat veggies everyday and I only poop once a week, the people on there told her to take aloe vera tablets.
thats what gave me the bright idea.
the fibre just as its gd for you
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:44 PM   #5  

Dr. Phil's wife had this on a show I think last year - there was a website to go to order and a lot of discussion on his message board regarding this subject - wonder if it's still on there if you did a search??? She swears by it and had her sister on it as well (or his sister ??). Gosh, my memory is awful.
Sorry.

Rachelle
RachelleS is offline   Reply With Quote