Rice Milk

• I'm having major digestive issues with dairy. I even tried the Lactose free milk which I like, but my body doesn't Was wondering if anyone has tried Rice Milk? Was wondering how it tastes. I'm thinking of buying Rice Dreams.

I tried Almond Milk (not particularly good on cereal), I won't touch soy with a 10 foot pole and I also tried Coconut milk (not a fan of that, either).
  • Any reason for not drinking soy? It will have the most nutrients and be the best tasting.

Rice milk is ok but I rather have the protein from soy milk so I alternate soy and almond. You could also try oat milk which may mesh better with cereal.
  • Hi Nelie!

The reason I avoid soy milk is because there are too many negative reports about soy milk. I know many cancer patients and their oncologists tell them to stay away from all soy products. That's because soy promotes the growth of cancer in cancer patients. And if you are not eating organic soy, you really shouldn't be eating it at all. That's because most soy that is grown in this country is GMO. We have Monsanto to thank for that.

For me, soy also brings on hot flashes. Had that experience about 5 years ago. Once I stopped eating soy (and products containing soy) - that's when the hot flashes stopped.
  • I think there is a lot of propaganda and misinformation about soy. Also studies on soy have been on soy isoflavones, which exist in very small amounts of soy products that don't purposefully isolate the isoflavones. I personally wouldn't use soy isolate (found in soy protein powder) but have no issues with soy milk.
    This article from cancer.org also basically says that if you enjoy soy products, then indications are they are safe to eat and may even be beneficial
    http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/ex...ncer-risk.aspx

Now of course if you personally have a negative effect with soy, I can understand avoiding it.
  • Yeah, the hot flashes were no fun.
  • I don't care for the flavor and consistency of rice milk. My personal favorite is actually the new Almond Coconut blend from Blue Diamond. Its delicious on cereal. Its a bit too sweet to cook with though. Personally, I feel that soy is safe and that its the best for cooking.
  • I have had almond milk and I like that.