Old 01-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #1  

Default OT - Iron supplements

I have iron-deficiency anemia and have had trouble with the pills causing...well...some plumbing issues. Talk about painful.

Does anyone have this problem, and what do you do to get around it?

It doesn't matter whether I do Slow FE or regular iron supplements, and I found the regular iron to be better for me in terms of feeling better.

I've tried prune juice, but...good lord. If I have to drink it, I will, but I don't like the extra sugar, etc.
Mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #2  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Maybe you could try diluting it? I've found a prune juice cocktail at the local dollar stores that's 49% juice, is sweetened with sucralose (if you're ok with artificial sweeteners), and has 8 grams of sugar per 8 ounce serving (I only have half a serving at a time). I had some serious constipation while I was pregnant (even before I had to start on the iron pills) and it did the trick. I've also added a small amount of regular prune juice to my smoothies on occasion and that helped as well. Oh, and there's always good old fashioned prunes (if you can stand the taste/texture), that way you get some fiber in with your dose!

Last edited by Elladorine; 01-16-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 179/161/149

Height: 5"8

Try taking the pills called Easy Iron. They are easier on your system.
Taking magnesium at night helps loosen things up.
I also find eating a few dates helps, and they are deliciously sweet, while still being a clean food.
superB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #4  
Stiff Yoga Pretzel

S/C/G: 218/ticker/145

Height: 5' 9"

I realize this is super late, but if you still watch this thread I have a suggestion.
When I was being tested for anemia I looked at Floradix Floravital Iron + Herbal Liquid Extract. I was supposed to be vegetarian, non-constipating, and yeast and gluten free (it also has B vitamins in it).
MrUki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 318/301/160

Height: 5'8"

I take a crazy amount of iron because I have the same problem. My doctor has me on a ton of different vitamins because of it. I had the same problem at first for a while. I tried to eat a lot of foods that would clean me out and eventually my body did adjust and now I have no problem.
Christal21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 205 / 190 / 140

Height: 5feet 9inches

Thumbs up Oatmeal

I like to chop up a few prunes so they are very small. Then I add them to my oatmeal and it's pretty delicious. Maybe with a dash of unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
lfks is offline   Reply With Quote