2 eggs a day...cholesterol okay?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Can anyone tell me whether or not it is actually harmful to consume that much dietary cholesterol every day? I've heard a lot of back and forth talk about whether it's actually an issue or not for people without heart disease.

Some background on me:
    I'm young, early 20s
    Workout 5+ times a week
    Don't consume a significant amount of cholesterol from any other foods
    On a low-cal diet
  • I think that if it is a concern of yours, you should talk to your doctor about it.

That said, I am also eating 2 eggs a day currently. I am also on a low calorie diet, no other source of dietary cholesterol, but I am significantly older than you. I don't know how long I will keep eating 2 eggs a day, but I currently have no plans to stop. So, the upshot is that I, personally, am not worried about it (though the thought has crossed my mind). That doesn't mean it's a good idea though.
  • How's your family history regarding cholesterol and heart disease?
  • I guess you have to believe that cholesterol causes heart disease to begin with
    http://douglbullock.com/blog/fat-and...l-myth-busted/

• Well anyone can make a blog...

I have low cholesterol because I don't have an in my diet but my body does make it. I have no brain fog or dementia. LDL cholesterol is a good thing to track because it doesn't move through the arteries as readily as HDL. Our body needs cholesterol but it also needs other things like glucose but too much glucose can be a bad thing just as much as too much cholesterol can be a bad thing.

I'd check with your doctor to see your cholesterol numbers. That is the only way to know.
  • That blog was hilarious! Apparently the high rate of heart disease is because everyone is eating a low-fat diet and the anti-meat industry is controlling the country! I'd really like to know which country that is, because I got the impression it was meant to be America, where there is a massive obesity problem, fat consumption is high (and definitely not falling), and the meat and dairy industries are extremely powerful.

A sane page on eggs and cholesterol may be found here.
  • The best bet is always to talk to your doctor. If you have a family history of heart disease and high cholesterol your doc may very well want you to limit your cholesterol intake more strictly. But if you're not carrying those risk factors and are living an active and healthy lifestyle then I would bet that the cholesterol intake from 2 eggs a day isn't going to be an issue for you.
  • Thanks for the input! My cholesterol levels were great last I checked, but I might limit it to 1 yolk a day anyway since eating both doesn't really make the meal significantly tastier.
  • Rediegg is always a good replacement if you're concerned about cholesterol.
  • Eating two eggs a day, as part of an energy-restricted weight-loss diet, does not increase levels of ‘bad’ or total cholesterol. However, energy-restricted diets, that may contain a relatively high proportion of fat and cholesterol, have been shown to produce neutral or in some cases favourable effects on plasma cholesterol.
  • try egg whites instead of eggs
  • From what I understand, the types of fat you consume are more important than dietary cholesterol intake. So, if your saturated fat intake is low otherwise, I'm sure it's fine.
  • You know, I really do think the genetic component is huge when it comes to having high cholesterol. I know several people who eat like saints and still have to take medication for their cholesterol problems, while before I started this diet I treated butter like it was it's own food group, and my LDL (the "bad" cholesterol) was low and my HDL high when I had bloodwork done recently.

So, if you're at risk based on genetic factors, I would worry. Otherwise, enjoy eggs to your heart's content.
  • hmmmm double check with the doc at your next appointment just to make sure.
  • 2 eggs is ok and that's the maximum you should take per day!