Calcium?

• So I realized today that I take in an alarmingly low amount of calcium. Does anyone know how to remedy this?

I know green veggies have calcium, but on the other hand, I've heard that it takes a LOT of those to even come close to milk. Which I cannot stomach. The only dairy product I really can handle is cheese, and that is occasionally.

Has anyone tried those chew things that supplement your calcium? Any other things like that that would work?
  • Collard greens and turnip greens are very high in calcium but that's probably not something you want to eat every day.

My mother's doctor told her to eat Tums, and said that's how he gets his calcium. He practices integrative medicine.
  • Citrical? Calcium fortified OJ?

A.
  • There's enough calcium in plant sources that you should still be able to meet your calcium requirements without eating dairy, or without practically bathing in collard greens. Remember that many cultures across the world don't use dairy (not to mention the high rate of lactose intolerance worldwide) and as far as I am aware, calcium deficiency is not a problem there. Try this page for more help. The really useful table is when you scroll down a bit.
  • I do not supplement calcium and do not drink milk. Cheese is always a flavoring rather than a hunk, and I am not a big yogurt or cottage cheese fiend. However, I had the most pleasant surprise when I had my first bone density scan........lovely & healthy bones in part probably due to carrying around excess weight for a number of years - like doing weight bearing exercise which strengthens bones Lost the weight but kept up the weight lifting.
  • You will find lots of information about food sources of nutrients on the Mayo Clinic website.
  • Vitafusion Calcium gummies are absolutely delicious but might taste too sweet for some. They are VERY sweet. Their value is kind of low since 1 serving is 2 gummies, and that's only half what the daily recommendation is.
  • Not only do I take calcium supplements, but I learned that calcium is a natural pre-menstrual pain killer. I've been cramp-free for over 2 years!
  • Tums are always good, but I prefer the calcium chews myself. The chocolate ones aren't bad, and I think there may be caramel ones as well.
  • I actually read in my nutrition book that Tums are not a good source of usable calcium. I'd have to go look at it again to see what it said specifically.

This is a short answer from Dr Weil, basically saying the type of calcium is not easily absorbed although my book seemed to indicate it should be something not taking at all.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA40006...r-Calcium.html
  • Nelie, thanks for the info! I will pass it along to my mother. I'll also stop passing the recommendation along
  • I love caramel calcium chews! Tastes like coffee candy. The other day i bought 2 Buy one get one $6 at cvs
  • Calcium chews are available in a variety of flavors and forms. Common flavors are fruity such as raspberry orange or strawberry. Forms are typically in a circular chew or a gummy vitamin and the size of the chew determines the amount of calcium per serving.

this is a better way of adding calcium in your body.