Having trouble getting enough protein.

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I did Medifast for 2 months and recently decided I can't handle the "food" anymore, so I'm following the Medifast plan with human food. (800-1000 calories, 10-30g of fat, carbs <100, and protein>70. I know I need to get the right nutrition if this is going to work, but it's tough to make the nutrition work on my own.

The only thing I'm really having a problem with is protein. I'm only getting about 30g most days. My main sources are eggs, Boca and Morningstar products, Special K Protein Plus cereal, and peanut butter (1 TBSP on a rice cake for a snack). I suppose I could eat more egg whites, so I'm going to try that. (By the way, I'm vegetarian)

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting more protein without adding too much in the way of calories and carbs? Why can't they make a magic protein pill?! The protein pills on the market are basically useless, as far I can tell...I'd need to take about 40 of them to meet my RDI!
  • greek yogurt is a great source of protein. 12-15g in 6 ounces. i'm not sure about the carbs or fat. it is 120-150 calories.
  • ^good suggestion, also Edamame, tofu, quinoa, beans.
  • Thanks for the suggestions! I actually just bought some Greek yogurt and didn't even think to look at the protein. And I can't believe I didn't think of beans! It's been so long since I had them they didn't occur to me.
  • Chicken breast is lean and full of protein. Greek yogurt is good also. Low Sodium sandwich meat maybe (for something quick)? Beef is packed full of protein, anything lean beef may work.
  • Tofu in smoothies, or anything else. Greek yogurt, as said, is wonderful.
  • Broccoli = 2g in 100g only 35 cal
    Chickpeas = 9g in 100g cooked only 164 cal
    Edamame = 11g in 100g only 140 cal
    Lima Beans =15g in 188g cooked only 217 cal
    Buckwheat = 6g in 168g cooked only 155 cal
    Quinoa = 8g in 185g cooked only 226 cal

Cottage cheese = 11g in 55g only 50 cal (dry-pressed)

Hazelnuts = 5g in 30g only 190 cal
    Wasabi peas = 5g in 30g only 130 cal

Also, Weight Watchers Bagels are low in cal at only 150 cal and contain 6g of protein.

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks for the suggestions! I loooove chick peas, especially in my salad — didn't realize they had so much protein. Yum
  • Thanks for starting this thread, Paradise. I am a pescetarian and I'm also having a really difficult time getting more than 30-40 g protein a day. I live in a developing country where seafood is very minimal, grains other than rice (quinoa, etc) is and health food (protein shakes, high protein pasta, etc) are unavailable. Relying on eggs, milk, yogurt, and lentils for my protein, but I can't eat all of those every day. Very open to suggestions
  • Something like EggBeaters is almost easier than eggs, and you get lots of protein from those. I know you said you eat vegetarian, but you did mention eggs.

Kashi golean has a high protein count.

How about just having a great protein shake everyday. Two scoops of protein powder in a cup of skim milk or soymilk and a banana has gobs of protein.

I also add a scoop of protein powder to 1 cup of yogurt (I don't like greek yogurt.)

You can add protein powder to oatmeal also.
  • Alright, yep, I eat eggs and milk. I tried the vegan thing for 6 months, but my willpower isn't strong enough

Egg beaters have been my go-to item for protein. I still have my eye out for low-carb protein shakes. I will check into plain protein powder.
  • I am also confrunted with the protein dilema, just that I can't stand anymore the taste of chicken and fish and I don't know what other light meat to try.
  • Greek yogurt is my newest love! Add some vanilla extract and some stevia and I am in HEAVEN!

I also add hemp seeds to my salads. It has a lot of protein as well and adds a nice nutty flavor. :-)
  • Soy beans, lentils, fat free dairy products, eggwhite, protein drinks...
  • I'm vegan and my protein varies between 50 to 100 grams although a couple weeks ago I hit 120 (I don't always count calories but on the days I do, I am hitting my general targets, I thought this was a little high so I was surprised). I eat lots of veggies, beans and fruit. Tofu is a good source as is soy milk. I don't eat a lot of soy but tend to find my higher protein days include soy.