Old 07-28-2006, 03:00 PM   #1  
I need buddies on MSN. D:

S/C/G: 240/159.5/140

Height: 5'6"

Question Fruit makes me nauseous?

I have no idea if I'm posting in the right place, but I want to know if anyone else feels nauseous after eating fruit? I love fruit but wow. I can't eat it at all without feeling like I'm going to get sick.

If this is in the wrong forum I'm sure someone can move it to the correct one?
snuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:06 PM   #2  
hara hachi bu

Wow, I've not heard of this before. I even tried googling a few things and didn't get any satisfactory results.

My sister gets nausea and indigestion problems from nerves ... she has no stress outlet so she turns it inward. Maybe the problem is something like that?
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:09 PM   #3  

I was wondering if it could be something like that, but it's always only after i eat fruit.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 07-28-2006, 03:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

My husband can't eat raw apples. They just make him feel like pukin'. He can eat cooked and has no trouble with peaches or plums, nectarines, bananas ... He's just always been like that.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:18 PM   #5  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

The fiber is probably hard on your stomach. Fiber-dense fruits like apples are hard for me to take sometimes, too. Cooked fruit is one compromise you could try.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:41 PM   #6  
it's always something

What types of fruit have you tried and noticed this effect?
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 227/227/150

Height: 5'2"

Default fruit

do you have an ulcer, i get that way from my ulcer
sassy252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

also if you put fruit on an empty stomach sometimes it will do that to me because it is too much for an empty stomach and not dense enough (filling enough) to cover the gap.

If I eat fruit when I've had more to satisfy me (carb, protein, etc) I don't have as much of a problem.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:23 PM   #9  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafinlySmart
also if you put fruit on an empty stomach sometimes it will do that to me because it is too much for an empty stomach and not dense enough (filling enough) to cover the gap.
Ah yes.. my husband is like this. So he doesn't drink orange juice in the morning.. ever. He will only eat fruit after he is finished with a good breakfast.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
What types of fruit have you tried and noticed this effect?
Strawberries, grapes, pineapple, apples. The only fruits that sit well with me are bananas and sometimes blueberries.

And ah! So eating fruit on an empty stomach probably isn't helping? I usually try to have some for breakfast. I'll try only having it after I've eaten something else and see if that works. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:18 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy252
do you have an ulcer, i get that way from my ulcer
If this keeps up I will have to get myself checked out. As far as I know, no ulcer.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:47 PM   #12  
Registered loser... :)

S/C/G: 420/397.4/375

Height: 5'6 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggle
Strawberries, grapes, pineapple, apples. The only fruits that sit well with me are bananas and sometimes blueberries.

And ah! So eating fruit on an empty stomach probably isn't helping? I usually try to have some for breakfast. I'll try only having it after I've eaten something else and see if that works. Thanks everyone.
I could've written exactly what's above. I can only stomach bananas and blueberries... sometimes strawberries are okay, too.

I love - LOVE fruit. I have been miserable since restarting WW because my stomach issue has been worse than ever.

An empty stomach will totally make it worse, but for me even pairing fruit - or raw veggies - with carbs won't always keep me from feeling nauseated.

I've been tested for an ulcer and I am on Protonix for acid reflux. It's helped (especially with the acid -as expected), but not totally solved the problem.

Cooked veggies and dried or cooked fruits are okay. Juice is also an issue... and I never eat citrus fruit anymore, ever. Not only will it make me nauseated, it will create this awful aftertaste that I deal with for the rest of the day. That's so bad I can't even have Diet Sprite anymore!

I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't have one for me, either. All I know is I a) avoid fruit at all costs first thing in the am, b) try to eat raw fruits only with carbs - a muffin, crackers, toast, etc... and c) avoid the kind that bothers me no matter what!

Good luck... I'm probably going to be tested for an NSAID caused ulcer. I don't have the common kind caused by bacteria. However, I have overused Advil and Aleve in the past, so it might be the cause of my agony.
julietjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:07 PM   #13  

So overuse of Advil can cause something like this?

I will try to only eat fruit with toast or a muffin now.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Another reason fruit alone can be a problem is the sugars. Fruit can make me sick, if I eat a breakfast of fruit with nothing else - but for me, I've learned it is the sugars. Pancakes, doughnuts, sweetrolls, etc, - do the same only much, much, worse. Even as a kid, I could eat pancakes for dinner, but not for supper (and bacon or sausage didn't help, not enough protein to help and fat only seems to make it worse).

I always make sure I eat a little protein with fruit if I'm having it on an empty stomache, especially mornings, which seem the worst.

Also, if it's the fiber, eating it in very small quantities, and building your size and number of daily servings up gradually can help alot.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

oops, I meant lunch or supper, but not breakfast.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote