Old 10-14-2009, 11:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/185/140

Height: 5'3

Question whole wheat,whole grain, multigrain, what?

I'm really confused about this. Which kind of grain is best for you and whats the difference between them? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Angelala13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Whole wheat and whole grain are both good. Beware of "Made with whole wheat" which just means it has some whole grain. Multi-grain is not necessarily whole grain unless it says so. It's often at least part whole grain.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Whole wheat - means the bread was made with the whole wheat grain, but make sure it says 100% whole wheat, or read the label to make sure it ONLY contains whole wheat (and not a combination of whole wheat flour and wheat flour, which is flour made from wheat with the bran layer removed).

Whole grain, means it's made with the "whole" grain (with the bran layer), but it may be any or a mixture of grains. Again, read the label carefully to makesure it says 100% whole grain, and not "made with whole grain," which just means whole grains were added, but there may be refined flour also - read the ingredient list.

Multigrain - just means a variety of grains were used, perhaps whole grains, but also perhaps refined grains (grains with the bran layer removed - and with it a great deal of fiber). Again, read the ingredients to see whether only whole grains were used, or a combination of whole and refined.

Probably the best bread overall would be one that was made with only whole food ingredients, several grains, but only whole grains (no white flour, but sometimes white flour is listed as "enriched wheat flour," or only as "wheat flour.")
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I found all those labels confusing too. I stay away from everything because I don't trust the labels. The only thing I buy is bread that is labeled "100% Whole Wheat."
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote