3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Nutrition and Labeling (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/nutrition-labeling-175/)
-   -   Butter vs Smart Balance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/nutrition-labeling/170894-butter-vs-smart-balance.html)

Foll0wyourbliss 05-04-2009 02:03 PM

Butter vs Smart Balance

Which is better for you?
I hear although butter is higher in calories, that it's healthier for you in the long run.
Is it worth sticking to real butter on the few occasions I use it (really only once a week) as long as I count the calories in it?

JerseyGyrl 05-04-2009 02:51 PM

IMO...butter is the way to go:)
http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/butter.html

nelie 05-04-2009 03:26 PM

My choice would actually be for Earth Balance.

No cholesterol, no saturated fat, good ingredients. Trader Joe's carries a version too.

Although personally, I only buy Earth Balance once in a great while, when a recipe calls for it. And then the tub sits in my fridge and sits... until I throw it out. I don't bake a lot though.

Riceaholic 05-04-2009 04:32 PM

I've found that trying to bake with anything other than butter or margarine doesn't usually turn out right! I bake a lot, so I'm better off just getting the butter and using it sparingly.

nelie 05-04-2009 04:38 PM

Smart Balance and Earth Balance are margarine like. I know Earth Balance (and probably Smart Balance) doesn't use any hydrogenated oils, which I believe traditional margarine does use.

newleaf123 05-04-2009 04:43 PM

I just use real butter when the situation arises. But it's very rare, usually just around the holidays. I never eat bread with butter on it, toast, or things like that. The only time I use Smart Balance is when I make grilled cheese for the kids because it is more spreadable.

Wolf Goddess 05-04-2009 05:20 PM

I use real butter for baking, and a light non-hydrogenated spread for topping things, like steamed vegetables or toast. I tried and HATED smart balance - the texture of both the sticks and tub stuff is just off. The sticks also had an odd yellow rind.

LandonsBaby 05-04-2009 05:41 PM

I'm with JerseyGyrl, I use real butter and I eat it every day on purpose.

JulieJ08 05-04-2009 05:50 PM

I don't even have butter *or* margarine very often, so I have butter for the flavor :)

Windchime 05-04-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf Goddess (Post 2727389)
I use real butter for baking, and a light non-hydrogenated spread for topping things, like steamed vegetables or toast. I tried and HATED smart balance - the texture of both the sticks and tub stuff is just off. The sticks also had an odd yellow rind.

I have a tub of Smart Balance in the fridge and I think it'll probably sit there till it goes bad. I bought it to use on baked potatoes, but it doesn't melt. It just sits there in a big, bright-yellow, plastic-y blob. So I've gone back to butter (sparingly). I like the taste better than the Smart Balance and at least butter melts.

Thighs Be Gone 05-04-2009 09:52 PM

5 calorie butter (Smart Squeeze) was a huge crutch for me at first. On occasion, I still use it in smashed cauliflower or whatever but I am finding that I rarely use it anymore and definitely not as much. No, I don't use butter. I find I just don't need it anymore.

zenor77 05-04-2009 11:02 PM

I personally think you can't improve on nature, so I use real butter. I don't slather it on everything though. I don't butter toast, baked potatoes, or things like that. I do use butter in baking and my favorite not-so-guilty pleasure is radishes smeared with a tiny bit of butter and dipped in salt (usually truffle salt.) It sounds weird, but it's the best combo ever!

newleaf123 05-06-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenor77 (Post 2727929)
my favorite not-so-guilty pleasure is radishes smeared with a tiny bit of butter and dipped in salt (usually truffle salt.) It sounds weird, but it's the best combo ever!

Weird??? I think that sounds *awesome*!!

willow650 05-06-2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelie (Post 2727212)
My choice would actually be for Earth Balance.

No cholesterol, no saturated fat, good ingredients. Trader Joe's carries a version too.

Although personally, I only buy Earth Balance once in a great while, when a recipe calls for it. And then the tub sits in my fridge and sits... until I throw it out. I don't bake a lot though.

I use Earth Balance and I LOVE IT. I go through tub every couple weeks. real butter is best for you if you can get raw organic butter.

squeak351 05-06-2009 02:04 PM

I agree that Smart Balance is not so good. I also got it to go on baked potatoes and it didn't melt just sat there looking disgusting. I tossed it out. My nutritionist recommended brummel and brown spread with yogurt. I really like it. She also recommends not using ICBINB spray which I used to use a ton of.