Old 02-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #1  
Operator265

Default Fake Healthy Foods

Just saw this on MyYahoo today. Thought it might be a good reminder to be sure the read the Nutrition Labels rather than rely on the advertising on the front of the box.

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/eatt...e-supermarket/
Old 02-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #2  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

The thing that has always killed me about Pop-Tarts is that there's two in a package while the serving is one.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I saw that earlier today, it's such a shame the kind of scams these companies come up with to trick people with problems out of money.
My boyfriend and I were discussing it, and we decided that the whole "low fat" craze is not actually due to misinformation, but that it's most likely a scam. Think about it... if people actually believe they can lose weight eating low fat foods, they'll be more willing to buy more of them, at a high price.

I think it's the food companies way of hiding the truth, that if we all were really doing the right thing to lose weight and keep it off, we would be buying much less of their food.

Anyway, sorry, I've been wanting to rant about that for a while.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Advertisement sells which is why since I was a child, I learned to read labels. Its also why grocery shopping can take forever for me because I'm busy reading labels unless its something I definitely know about. I remember getting burned by kidney beans once though, it had sugar in it. Who puts sugar in a can of kidney beans? Apparently everyone except organic brands and goya. I do a quick glance at things like canned beans/tomatoes just to check there aren't any unusual items. Also, if I think an item should only have a few ingredients and it has a lot, I'll put it back without bothering to read the ingredients.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #5  
Operator265

Good point, Nelie. I didn't really think about things like canned veggies. I would expect some preservatives, but honestly, sugar?

I also learned when I was younger that if there are more than 2 items you can't read(one would be a preservative the other probably coloring), put it back.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #6  
Counter-Hipster

S/C/G: 184/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

This makes me sad. I love Arnold Whole Grain Health Nut. In fact, I work for the company that makes that. Luckily it's not the brand I'm in charge of, but it still makes me sad.
dominodreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #7  
Counter-Hipster

S/C/G: 184/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/eat-t...%20Supermarket

That ^^ is really interesting, too.

When I was in college I would eat massive, tortilla-busting burritos EVERY DAY, then I'd go to work (at TGIFridays) and eat dinner there.

I canNOT believe how many calories I ate every day in college.... and I gained nothing my first and second year... when I worked at Einstein Bros Bagels...
dominodreams is offline   Reply With Quote