Old 08-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default This Week's healthiest food - Bok Choy

I love bok choy but don't eat enough of it. I also think it contains the most calcium of any food? I read that somewhere but the little snippet doesn't say that.

Did you know that cabbage, like bok choy, is great for losing weight? One cup of raw bok choy contains only 22 calories while supplying you with a wealth of health-promoting nutrients. Like its other cruciferous cousins, broccoli, kale and mustard greens, cabbage is not only an excellent source of vitamin C and dietary fiber, but also contains many unique sulfur-containing phytonutrients, such as indole-3-carbinole (I3C) and sulforaphane. I3C and sulforaphane help activate and stabilize the body's antioxidant and detoxification mechanisms. Other sulfur compounds, which are produced as a result of cutting, chewing or digesting cabbage, increase the liver's ability to produce enzymes that neutralize potentially toxic substances. Cabbage is easily available, inexpensive, and easy to prepare. Try our tasty recipes and you'll see why cabbage is a dietary staple of long standing throughout the world.

(The link is for cabbage, no bok choy page?)
http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=19
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:20 PM   #2  
LLV

I love bok choy and love adding it to my stir-frys. I chop it all, the leafy greens included.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:45 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I have some baby bok choy on tap for a stirfry tomorrow. I pretty much only use it in stirfries and soups, though...any other big uses out there?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:26 AM   #4  

Depending on size cut the long way either in half or in quarters. Steam with just a tiny bit of flavorful cured sausage. You could even use that turkey pepperoni. If I do not have the traditional Chinese sausage I might finely cube a bit of salami. It melds together nicely. Serving on top of a bit of rice or couscous or polenta rounds it out.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote