Old 08-18-2008, 09:13 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default This week's healthiest food - Cucumbers

I love cucumbers. I eat cucumbers basically every day. I usually eat them in my salads or by themselves. Sometimes I'll also chop up cucumbers with jicama and oranges, sprinkle with lemon or lime juice and sprinkle with chili powder.

I also enjoy cucumber salads with chopped tomatoes and onions along with red wine vinegar.

Food of the Week . . . Cucumbers
Did you know that cucumbers have actually been found to be up to 20 degrees cooler than the outside air? It's no wonder that we want to be "cool as a cucumber" during the hot summer months! Cucumbers are great for healthy skin—from both inside and out. While it may be recommended to add cucumbers to your diet to improve the complexion and health of the skin, cucumbers are also used topically to reduce swelling under the eyes and the effects of sunburn. And for an extra boost of vitamin A, C and potassium, add cucumbers to your favorite summer salads and sandwiches. If you choose organic cucumbers, leave the skin on for extra nutrition—all you have to do is slice and serve!

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=42
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I love and adore cucumbers. Although what I eat is called "kirbys". They're just like a cucumber, but a little smaller and therefore less seedy.

Cucumbers saved me waaay back when, my first or second week of my journey. I was looking to devour whatever was in sight (thankfully, I rid my house of all the junk) and cucumbers is what I dove into. I had 3 of them. No damage done.

Actually they've saved me many times. I'll be looking to eat, just for the sake of eating, I know, that's just awful, and I will turn to cucumbers.

I eat cucumber salad 2X a day. I also put them in my daily salad. I peel them and make them into spears and dip them into salsa at times as well.

I actually find them quite filling, though I know they're not one of the most nutritionally sound veggie out there. But for me, they really serve a very big purpose.

Oh how I owe lots and lots to the "cucumber".
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #3  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I love cukes! Robin, would you share with me how you make your cucumber salad? Thank you.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:10 PM   #4  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6˝

Oh yeah! Love cucumbers! Very refreshing in every way.

I made a good watermelon cucumber salad this weekend. Equal parts cucumbers and watermelon and little salt and a little sugar and then balsamic vinegar. Even my 3 and 4 year olds loved it. (Not DH though...whatever!)
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #5  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Yeah I'd be interested in salad ideas. I like cucumber but find it slightly boring.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/214/130

Oh man! I love cucumbers. Ha, ha. In fact, since starting my diet I have ate them every day. My family teases me about it, but they are good! I am following atkins so I have been eating several cups of cucumbers every day. I like them just chopped up and plain. I am glad to know I am not weird for liking them so much. My family keeps making jokes about it. They said instead of sneaking in candy at the movies, I am going to sneak in a cucumber in my purse.
Moonring05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #7  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonring05 View Post
My family keeps making jokes about it. They said instead of sneaking in candy at the movies, I am going to sneak in a cucumber in my purse.

hahaha! that is hilarious!
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:22 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai View Post
I love cukes! Robin, would you share with me how you make your cucumber salad? Thank you.
Oh gosh. It's sooo easy.

I peel and slice (I use a grater/slicer combination - thing-y I use the slicer portion) and place in a container. I then add some white vinegar, about 1/3 of the way up and Splenda to taste. A couple of teaspoons full.

And here's a few more recipes that I really like:

Spago Cucumber Salad

2 cups thinly sliced Japanese cucumbers*
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar or sugar substitute (Splenda)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil or less
2 teaspoons sesame seeds

* English cucumbers may be substituted. The English cucumbers need to be peeled, cut lengthwise, seeded, and sliced into thin half moons. Kirbys are fine too as well as Persian cucumbers

In a large bowl, combine cucumbers and salt; mix well. Add sugar, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and sesame oil; mix well. Sprinkle with sesame seed and mix. Let marinate for 20 minutes before serving.

Recipe Makes 4 servings

Per Serving - 2.5 Fat Grams, 43.5 calories, .

Cucumber, Mango and Red Onion Salad

This recipe serves: 4
Preparation time : 15 minutes

Ingredients
1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced (To get more volume, I use about 4 or 5)
1 mango, pitted and cut into large dice
1 red onion, sliced into thin rounds
2 tablespoons lime juice
salt to taste
3 tablespoons cilantro

Cooking Instructions
1. Place the cucumber, mango and red onion in a medium bowl.
2. Season to taste with the lime juice and salt.
3. Garnish generously with cilantro leaves.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size about 1/2 cup

Amount Per Serving
Calories 57
Protein 1 g
Total Carbohydrate 14 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g

Israeli Salad

5 cucumbers (I use kirbys), diced small
3 -5 plum tomatoe, diced small
1 small onion, diced small
1 red pepper, diced small - optional

Salt, pepper and oregano to taste. Juice of a large lemon.

This is a great salad that keeps for days. I make a large amount so that I have a quick, healthy snack whenever I feel like it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #9  
No description available.

Thanks for the recipes, Robin. I've never really cared for cucumber. It adds a nice crunch for salmon or tuna salad but that is about it for me. I always scoop out the seeds cause I don't care for the texture. I'll look for those Kirby ones.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #10  

Yes, Kirby's are great. Sometimes called pickling cucumbers- they look like a pickle with the little bumps and the gentle curve. Also look out for the Japanese cukes- low seed ratio, super juicy and thin skin. I have cuke salad in the fridge all summer. Basically Robin's recipe though I often use cider vinegar, lots of ground black pepper, and I add sliced onions. Also eat it both at lunch and dinner, and often as a snack with some tomatoes off the vine.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #11  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Thank you so much Robin! These look delicious!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote