3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Nutrition and Labeling (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/nutrition-labeling-175/)
-   -   This Week's Healthiest Food - CORN (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/nutrition-labeling/148211-weeks-healthiest-food-corn.html)

rockinrobin 08-04-2008 09:26 AM

This Week's Healthiest Food - CORN

http://whfoods.org/

Corn
This week we celebrate fresh sweet corn—now in the peak of its season. Few vegetables are more synonymous with summer than freshly picked corn on the cob. Although corn is available in markets year-round, now is the time to enjoy locally grown varieties that not only taste the best, but are usually the least expensive.

Nutritional Value
Corn is a good source of B vitamins including thiamin, folate, and pantothenic acid. One cup of cooked corn contains 24% of the daily value (DV) for thiamin, 19% DV for folate and 14% DV for pantothenic acid as well as health-promoting phytonutrients.

Love corn, rarely, rarely eat it. I don't think I've had it more then a handful of times since I made the change (to a healthier diet). I know many healthy, normal weight people are able to incorporate it into their diets. I'm just not one of them. :(

BabyFatGone 08-04-2008 10:03 AM

Made corn chowder this weekend -- was yummy with fresh local corn.

RealCdn 08-04-2008 10:48 AM

I usually have corn at this time of year on Sundays (steak night). I'm also a 'way too much butter' person, however, what I do now is take a small dish and zero it out on the scale and weigh out a reasonable portion (10g for two cobs of corn). That way I can enjoy it guilt free.

yoyonomoreinvegas 08-04-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinrobin (Post 2300582)
http://whfoods.org/Love corn, rarely, rarely eat it. I don't think I've had it more then a handful of times since I made the change (to a healthier diet). I know many healthy, normal weight people are able to incorporate it into their diets. I'm just not one of them. :(

Me neither :( It used to be the only cooked vegetable I would eat. Might be why I had that "corn fed, ready for market" look. :lol:

Manick 08-04-2008 07:27 PM

:rofl: Good one!

I am able to eat corn on the cob plain with a bit of sea salt, I discovered. Its great grilled too. Sometimes we brush it with garlic paste, herbs and olive oil before grilling. I will only eat it about once a week at most this time of year. DH LOVES it and slathers the aforementioned B-word topping all over it. :devil:

nelie 08-04-2008 10:04 PM

I don't know if I've ever had corn with butter. I don't remember eating much corn until I was older and it was usually grilled.

I don't eat much corn now because although it is good, it isn't one of my favorites. We got some as part of our CSA this week and last week. My husband has been getting it for lunch/dinner as he loves corn. I steam it a bit in the microwave or 'grill' it in the toaster oven.

mandalinn82 08-04-2008 10:40 PM

Mmmm, corn. I rarely eat it as a side on it's own, but I do love grilling an ear and splitting it among several dinner salads. An ear of corn split 4 ways adds just the right amount of sweetness, and grilling it just gives that great smoke, and appealing visual presentation.

I recently had a salad with marinated flank steak, grilled zucchini, bell pepper, and red onion, some black olives, and the grilled corn...a big bed of greens, and a fat free sour cream based dressing, and I was set. SO GOOD.

EZMONEY 08-04-2008 10:54 PM

Love corn!

back in the old days....we just set the butter dish on the table and rolled the cobs in it!

so :) good

so :devil: bad

BlueToBlue 08-05-2008 05:57 AM

I don't eat a lot of corn by itself, although occasionally I'll pick up a couple of ears at the farmer's market. I do eat my corn on the cob without any butter--I rarely need butter on any veggies these days. Just some salt and pepper or other seasoning (Cajun, Lawry's, etc.)

But even though I don't eat a lot of corn straight, I have several recipes that I use corn in. A couple of soups/chowders, a few casseroles, and, of course, my beloved Tamale Pie (which is actually a double-corn recipe--it includes both corn and polenta).

And I eat a lot of corn in the form of corn meal and similar products. I eat a lot of Fiber One cereal (mainly in the form of Meg's Fiber One Muffins but also just plain as a snack). The #1 ingredient in Fiber One is corn bran. And polenta is a BIG staple in my diet. And I have a number of recipes that use cornmeal in addition to or in place of flour.

cbmare 08-05-2008 12:34 PM

I wish I could eat it. I love corn. I have diverticulitis and can't have it.

Instead of butter, try mixing a small amount of honey with some soy sauce and brush it on. You might find you have a new way to love it.

I miss corn.

tommy 08-05-2008 03:48 PM

This time of year, corn is my main carb- it is a meal with steamed green beans, garden ripe tomatoes and maybe some lean protein. I go to the farmstand that sells a sweet yellow corn with alot of taste. I pay a premium- 75 cents an ear!!!- but it is heads and shoulders above the overly sweet anemic tasting white stuff available at the grocery store or the farmers market. It is picked in the adjacent field the same day. Needs nothing but a minute or two in boiling salted water. I also like supporting the family run stand in the "big city" (google Ishibashi farmstand Torrance Ca for some interesting info about this Japanese farming family- really cool history)

Shy Moment 08-05-2008 05:57 PM

I am from Ohio and we are corn fed people lol. I use spray butter now on my corn. Same great taste but you use much less butter than if you put it on any other way than from the spray bottle. Just a couple of sprays and you are ready to eat :)

kismet78 08-05-2008 06:28 PM

What I wouldn't give right now for a nice, sweet, juicy ear of corn! That's a big no-no on the Metabolic Research diet, so not a choice for me this year. I've heard several people mention that it's the best it's been in over 10 years..... figures. Here in Nebraska, it's practically a staple in life. ;D Enjoy, folks!

modcat44 08-06-2008 12:52 AM

Shy Moment: that is a great idea--I was wondering how to fit corn into my newly determined diet plan. I too am from the midwest and loved, loved, loved summertime corn. Sometimes that was our entire meal!