Old 06-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #1  

Default Allergic to Protein??

I was just wondering if this was even possible. I have food sensitivities which are causing me severe bloating. I've been slowly trying to figure out which foods are causing it by cutting things out and then putting them back in. I cut out all dairy and thought that it might be the culprit until this weekend. I'm usually pretty diligent about making sure I get a decent amount of protein in my diet, but this weekend I basically OD'd on carbs. The funny thing was that I didn't feel bad...or bloated!! On Monday, when I picked up my protein intake (approx. 25-30%) I immediately became bloated and my stomach has been distended ever since. My protein intake consists of chicken breast, sliced turkey, and protein bars. Is it possible to be sensitive to ALL sources of protein?!?!? Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks for your help!
Onsecondthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Have you tried cutting out the protein bars? They often contain soy protein, and soy can be a BIG bloating/discomfort trigger for people.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

All true allergens are proteins. But it is extremely unlikely (I would say virtually impossible) for you to be allergic to all proteins.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #4  

Soy? Really? I never would have thought that soy causes bloating. I didn't think I ate that much of it either, but I'll give it a try though...I guess all those soy burgers in my freezer are going to go to waste!
Old 06-25-2008, 04:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Are your meats processed? Could it be the extra sodium that many processed foods contain?
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #6  

i don't really eat that much processed meat...whole chicken breast, sliced turkey breast. the only "protein sources" that i eat that are really processed are the soy burgers i sometimes eat for dinner and the protein bars. i haven't had either one in the last few days and i'm still super bloated! ugh! i look like i'm 5 months pregnant! i'm worried someone's going to ask me when i'm due!!
Old 06-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

do those protein bars have sugar alcohols i them? that can cause severe bloating.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:21 PM   #8  

Height: 5' 8"

My vote is on the protien bars too. Check the ingredients - so much stuff that's packaged and marketed and "healthy" is really not so great after you get past the first/main ingredient.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Soy triggers my ashtma, so yes, I would give it credit for creating allergies in people.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote