This Weeks Healthiest Food - STRAWBERRIES!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=32

:

Yumm. Yumm. Yumm.

For me, it doesn't really get any better then this fruit wise and even food wise. What a luscious taste treat. And oh so healthy. LOVE EM!!!

I eat them plain and in a variety of different salads. Can't get enough of them. If there's one downside, it's that they are quite perishable. Usually not a problem because we eat them up so quickly. Only thing is, they can't be bought much in advance. S'allright though. They're still #1 in my book.
  • Strawberries are a staple at my house. I freeze them in 2 cup portions for shakes. One cup today and the next tomorrow.
  • I eat strawberries almost every day. Frozen strawberries make an amazing smoothie addition. I also enjoy fresh strawberries when they are a decent price.
  • OMG I love strawberries. They've been so fresh and juicy lately. I buy in bulk when they're on special, wash, cut and freeze so I almost always have them on hand!
  • Oh yessss!

I just came home with a 2 pound box and I know they won't survive here for long. I've snacking on a lot of strawberries these past weeks and they have helped me out of many a sweet craving in the process.

I love to eat them just like that or mixed up with a little nonfat yogurt and maybe a tiny pinch of brown vanilla sugar. Another great combination for me is to have them with arugula and a creamy homemade balsamic vinaigrette - yum!
  • Heeeeeey where's the link?

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=32

I just bought some strawberries the other day, I love them.
  • Quote: Heeeeeey where's the link?

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=32

I just bought some strawberries the other day, I love them.
    Oooh sorry bout that. Thanks LLV. I'll go edit my original post and pop it in there.
  • I love strawberries, but since berries are one of the dirty dozen I'll only eat organic. The organic ones in the stores don't look so good yet and they won't show up at our farmer's market for awhile. They are one of my favorite fruits!
  • The dirty dozen? Huh?

Something tells me I'm not going to like the answer.
  • http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13737389/

Basically, these are foods that you absolutely should buy organic or not buy at all. I had previously read that strawberries do contain more pesticides than any other food. I can't give them up though so I take my chances.
  • Just a quick storage tip- If you have a large gallon glass jar, put the strawberries in when you get home (unwashed!) If there is a gap between the berries and the lid, stuff a paper towel in (it will absorb moisture that leads to yucky berries- change out when it feels moist, and wipe the glass if it has condensation). Store in fridge. Have had them remain lovely for 10 days (at which time they were all eaten, so could have gone longer)
  • Hmmm, I'm not much of a strawberry fan. I only eat them if my beloved raspberries aren't available. But I do have a fabulous and easy recipe for brandied strawberry jam (no boiling water required).

Brandied Strawberry Jam
    5 cups strawberries (about 28 oz), halved (or quartered, if large)
    1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
    4 tbsp brandy
    1 tsp vanilla

Combine strawberries, sugar, and 3 tbsp brandy and bring to simmer over medium heat. Simmer until the mixture reaches a jam-like consistency. Stir in remaining 1 tbsp brandy and vanilla and simmer for a minute or so longer. Store in the refrigerator for several weeks (freeze if you need to store it longer).

It makes a great topping for yogurt, pancakes, cottage cheese, muffins (and toast, of course ). You should get around 1 1/2 cups of jam and it comes in at around 35 calories per tablespoon.
  • Strawberries
  • When it comes to strawberries I turn into a little I have been known to eat pounds of the stuff in one sitting
  • Just set out 50 new plants, all organically grown, of course.
    Can't wait until I have vine ripe berries.