This Week's Healthiest Food - Asparagus

• I love Asparagus but don't eat it often enough. I have some in the fridge right now. I can eat it raw, steamed or roasted with minimal or no seasoning.

Food of the Week . . . Asparagus
    Did you know that your body requires folic acid (or folate) in order to replace all the cells lining your digestive tract every few days and all of your oxygen-carrying red blood cells every few months? Folate also helps repair all wounded, aging or damaged cells, helps to keep the cells of your heart and nervous system in top form, and maintains the normal removal of homocysteine (high levels are a marker for increased risk of heart disease). Plus, folate is essential for reproductive health since it forms the protective cells covering the cervix and is necessary for the formation of sperm as well as every cell of a growing fetus inside a pregnant woman. Asparagus provides 66% of the daily value for folate, which is just one of many reasons to include asparagus as part of your "Healthier Way of Eating."
    http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=12
  • MMM! I made a Thai curry with asparagus a few days ago. It was really good! I love asparagus, lightly steamed with fresh pressed garlic, lemon juice and a good quality oil.
  • My asparagus isn't peeking up quite yet but, as soon as it does, I'll be picking daily. I love the stuff! This spring I will try it roasted with garlic and Parmesan.
  • I love love love asparagus. In fact, I don't get rid of the woody ends. I put them in a baggie in the freezer. As soon as I have enough, I make an asparagus soup with those and whatever fresh I have left.

I will sometimes shave the stalks so the entire thing is useable. I then freeze the shavings with those woody ends in the freezer.

Jamie Oliver made an asparagus tart recently. We are going to try that as well.
  • Hmmm... I love it roasted!
  • I had asparagus yesterday roasted with other vegetables with olive oil and sea salt. They were so good. I peeled the woody ends and threw them in too.
  • Asparagus is my absolute favourite vegetable . . . Yum.
  • LOVE aspargus. LOVE it.

Just roasted is fine with me. A little onion and garlic powder and a tad of salt. I like them crisp.

I've also been putting the roasted asparagus into a salad lately. I cut the spears into thirds. Sautee some portobello mushrooms. Add that to a mix of European greens and romaine. Some sliced red onion. Sliced orange bell peppers. Sectioned and cubed oranges. A dressing of honey mustard and lemon juice. DIVINE.
  • I love roasted asparagus, I can eat a whole pound!

Anyone have "funny" side effects after eating asparagus???
  • Oh yeah, I've been experiencing those side effects for the past few days as I've eaten asparagus every night with my dinner.
  • SoulBliss---I LOVE to make curries! I've never tried asparagus, though. What other ingredients did you use?

My husband and I love asparagus, but it is so expensive around here when it is not in season. It's a treat when we have it!
  • I ate an entire bundle grilled this evening. I just love it that much! No side effects for me.
  • LOVE asparagus!! I put it in breakfast (omelettes), lunch (steamed in a couscous salad) and dinner (steamed as a side with grilled salmon). SO tasty!!!