3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Nutrition and Labeling (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/nutrition-labeling-175/)
-   -   Farmer's Markets (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/nutrition-labeling/135445-farmers-markets.html)

starofsorrow 02-26-2008 01:22 PM

Farmer's Markets

This is a question that probably gets asked a lot, but I was curious....how do you find local farmer's markets? I live in a town, and admittedly, I have no idea if we have farmer's markets, or if it even happens.... any suggestions on hunting down one? =)

mandalinn82 02-26-2008 01:27 PM

www.localharvest.org

You can also find Community Supported Agriculture and U-Pick farms...I love this site.

cbmare 02-26-2008 01:34 PM

Also, do a search on the net and check your local paper.

There there is the tried and true - ask your neighbor.

Once you start supporting the local farmers and tasting produce fresh from the farm, you'll turn your nose at the supermarket stuff most times.

kaplods 02-26-2008 01:39 PM

I found the biggest one in our area when we first moved here through Google just the name of the city and farmer's market. Then I found two smaller ones in the local free newspaper (alot of cities have these, sometimes you'll find them in restaurants, but the libraries almost always have a copy). The librarians are a great resource in any community (they tend to know what is going on in the area or how to find out), as is the Chamber of Commerce. Also, once you find one, when you visit you can find more by asking the vendors and fellow customers where else they sell/shop.

starofsorrow 02-26-2008 02:26 PM

Thanks!!! I took your tips and found one in my town. Yay! It's even open today from 3 to 6. Definitely gonna go there to see what's up. :D

LLV 02-29-2008 09:27 AM

I'm a Farmer's Market ADDICT.

cbmare 02-29-2008 11:08 AM

I love getting the fresh stuff there. I feel good, too, knowing that I'm supporting a local grower. There are so few of them any longer. We go to one around here on Sunday's. We then plan our menus for the week based on what we find there.

star, what did you find?

zenor77 02-29-2008 12:50 PM

I wish we had a year long farmer's market. I can not wait until May 1st!

baffled111 02-29-2008 08:28 PM

Same here zenor! I have seriously missed my farmer's market all winter long. Hooray for the onset of spring!

WaterRat 02-29-2008 08:36 PM

Hmmm, I'm drumming my fingers waiting for one too, but it'll be late June before much besides greens and radishes are available. The high school FFA has a large greenhouse, and they have stuff earlier than most folks, but it's still June! I'm making do with my CSA box from Washington every other week. :)

Glory87 03-02-2008 02:29 PM

I went yesterday - got the most beautiful strawberries I have ever seen.