Popcorn: good or bad?

• I've noticed that i really have a tendency to just want to eat and I dont think that I can make that go completely away immediantly. Is popcorn a good thing to munch on?
  • That depends, hcred123. Some popcorn brands and flavors are OK--I like the "natural light" ones. But, I watch serving sizes. 1 microwave bag has 2-1/2 servings, so I pay attention and limit myself to a serving.

You get 110 cals per serving, and it's mostly carbohydrates. (That's assuming you don't add any butter, and that it's not "movie butter" flavor!) For a snack, that isn't bad, and it is filling.

But, you have to be able to stop at 1 serving. If you can't, then just don't have it around for awhile. That's what I'd do!

Jay
  • I make my popcorn in paper lunch bags - 1/4 cup kernels, a spritz of cooking spray, then you fold the top of the bag over and microwave until there are 2-3 seconds between pops. It's cheap, easy, and lower-cal than what you get in microwave brand (about 120 calories for the whole bag).
  • I don't eat popcron very often, but when I do I air pop it (I eat it plain.) I have yet to find a flavored brand of micro popcorn that doesn't have hydrogenated oil &/or palm oil. I know in the light ones it's only a tiny bit, but I'm stubborn. If that stuff doesn't bother you I know they make 100calorie bags of popcorn too.
  • I would highly recommend getting an air popper! I received one for Christmas from my mom and I LOVE it! Just put a few kernels in, wait a few minutes, spritz with a little olive oil, grind a little pepper....yum yum yum!!

And I think the popper was only $15/20....not bad at all!
  • Popcorn is actually a whole grain! Air popped popcorn is just fine Watch portion sizes, of course.
  • I actually recently found no oil microwave popcorn. The brand is Bearitos
  • I used to do the popcorn in a lunch bag in the microwave until the ink printed on the bag got hot and caught the bag on fire one day. Luckily I was watching it and put it out quickly.
  • Scary, WebRover! I just checked my bags to make sure there is no printing! Mine are print-free.
  • Im confused, is lite butter flavored popcorn once a week good or bad? I dont eat it often to buy an air popper
  • I don't think it's bad. You can buy the 100 calorie bags to help control portions. I have a microwave pop-corn maker. I think bagfree popcorn tastes much better than bagged.
  • I buy no oil bagged popcorn.
  • Quote: Im confused, is lite butter flavored popcorn once a week good or bad? I dont eat it often to buy an air popper
    I bought mine at a thrift store for $2.50. I eat popcorn, maybe, once every two months or so. If you have a space issue that could pose a problem though. If you can find light or no oil microwave popcorn without all the nasty preservatives (BHT, etc.) than I think it's fine.
  • If you have diverticulitis, then it is bad. If you don't have any problems with your colon, then you should be fine.

I used to have a microwave popcorn maker. It was fun. However, someone told me to try a regular casserole dish. Just put it in your pyrex casserole dish with the lid and let it go for a few minutes. I haven't tried it but it should work.