3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Nutrition and Labeling (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/nutrition-labeling-175/)
-   -   Sprouts (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/nutrition-labeling/121584-sprouts.html)

wisher 08-29-2007 09:12 PM

Sprouts

I love sprouts on my sandwiches and in my salads. Do they have any real nutritional value or are they mostly "empty" like iceburg lettuce or something like that?

maryblu 08-29-2007 09:54 PM

"Empty calories?" OMG, no!

OMG, girl! Are they "empty calories" like iceberg lettuce? OMG, no!!! Sprouts are a powerhouse of nutrients! Wonder foods. Broccoli sprouts have more nutrition in them than broccoli itself........not to mention they are not at all disgusting like broccoli is........lol

The only reason sprouts get a bad rap is that there is a tendency for them to be contaminated.....someone help me out here, but there are some bad sprout growing practices that make them contaminated...is it E.coli? I think so...anyway, you can sprout them yourself....I have a sprouter....it is easy enough, you just have to do it.

Sprouts rule!

baffled111 08-29-2007 10:47 PM

You know, I have a sprouter too and a giant bag of different seeds and I haven't used it all summer. I'm going to put some sprouts out RIGHT NOW. I love them.

Thanks for the reminder!

baffled111 08-29-2007 11:54 PM

Actually, after some reflection, it has occurred to me that the only thing I know to do with sprouts is to put them on a sandwich. I don't really eat sandwiches anymore--not enough bang for the calories. What else do people do with them? Add them to salads, no doubt, but what else?

They're very nutritious and if you sprout them yourself, practically free. There has to be a way of eating them regularly.

Suggestions?

junebug41 08-30-2007 09:34 AM

Sprouts are fabulous! It's a simple way to add a nutritional punch to whatever you're eating. Actually, the benefits of broccoli are greater in sprout form than in its developed form (not that regular broccoli is no good ;))

meowee 08-30-2007 09:36 AM

They are a wonderful addition to any stir-fry type of dish and I love them in omelettes, too.

MugCanDoIt 08-31-2007 02:18 PM

so how do you sprout them and where do you get the seeds?

baffled111 09-01-2007 06:45 PM

You need a large jar, a pile of seeds and a bunch of water. Basically you just pour water into the jar, drain, wait 8 hours, repeat. After a few days, you have sprouts. It's the easiest thing in the world.

I bought my jar with the nice drainage lid and a bunch of different seeds from The Sprout People. I think you can do it with cheese cloth instead of the sprouter, but a sprouter doesn't cost much and it will keep the Sprout People in business :) www.sproutpeople.com