3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Nutrition and Labeling (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/nutrition-labeling-175/)
-   -   Nutrition Question (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/nutrition-labeling/117538-nutrition-question.html)

baffled111 07-11-2007 01:25 PM

Nutrition Question

Hi guys,

This is a bit off-topic but maybe someone has an answer anyway.

I have quite dark circles under my eyes that I'm a bit self-conscious about. I get plenty of sleep and I eat a pretty balanced diet and so my guess is that the dark skin is probably genetic (although my mum doesn't have it). But I'm wondering if the dark circles could point to some nutritional deficit. Anyone know?

zenor77 07-11-2007 02:37 PM

It can be a sign of an iron deficiency. Is this something you have always had or is it a new occurance? If it's a new thing I'd talk to your doctor. I believe your doctor can find out if you are anemic with a simple blood test.

baffled111 07-11-2007 06:12 PM

Hey Zenor. It's something I've had for the last couple of years--since I started to get old :) It could be iron--I tend to come in low on that most days. I was anemic when I was a teenager and it probably wouldn't hurt to start taking a supplement and see how I go. As I said, it's probably genetic and I'm stuck with wearing concealer every day... Blech!

settie 07-11-2007 07:49 PM

It could hurt to start taking a supplement without your doctor's knowledge. Iron is one mineral that you should not have too much of. When I was on it I was monitored quite closely.

kaplods 07-12-2007 03:56 AM

If it's something that comes and goes, or it looks like bruising, it can also be allergies. I had a room mate in college who got dark circles under her eyes, sometimes to the point it would look like two black eyes whenever she ate potatoes.

When I worked with kids, I went to a child abuse seminar and they also had photos of kids with two black eyes, that were allergy related and not abuse.

kaplods 07-12-2007 03:58 AM

Oh yeah, and I agree with Settie, you don't want to take an iron supplement unless absolutely necessary, as it carries some pretty significant health risks, especially for women.

swiminky 07-12-2007 10:12 PM

My friend was just diagnosed with "allergy shiners." She is on allergy meds now and the circles went away.

baffled111 07-12-2007 11:41 PM

I didn't know that about iron. Thanks for the head's up. I guess I always thought that, like the B vitamins, iron is something that women could use more of.

My dark circles aren't allergy related--they're pretty constant, although when I don't get enough sleep they're exacerbated. It's too bad. I did think they were genetic, but I hoped against hope to be able to attribute them to some mystery vitamin X. :)