http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...cf68e93580e481

Yum!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Ditto - yum!!!

I eat it all the time. My newest use for it: when I'm munched, I'll just thickly slice one up, put on a cookie sheet, spray with some cooking spray and put it under the broiler. It cooks real fast. I then sprinkle it with a tiny bit of parmesan cheese.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

A third vote on the YUM!

My favorites - cube, then bake in a baking dish with a chopped tomato, minced garlic clove, and italian seasoning, topped with a tbsp parmesan cheese per serving...bake until squash is tender. We call this "squash bake" and its a staple in our house.

Stuffed - hollow out an 8-ball or large zucchini (cut in half) with a spoon. Chop the innards and put those in a bowl with some chopped fresh basil, a little prepared whole wheat couscous, a chopped tomato, salt, pepper, and a minced garlic clove. Toss that, then re-stuff into the hollowed out halves and sprinkle each half with a tbsp or so of shredded part-skim mozzarella. Bake until squash shell is tender and cheese is browned.

Tonight I'm throwing some summer squash into a frittata...tomorrow I'll grilling up slices to top a chicken fajita salad.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

Hello - I usually post in the 100# forum, but when I saw the summer squash thing I had to put in my two cents. I slice it thick, marinate in lite Italian dressing and throw on the grill. YUM.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #5  

I like to cube it and cook with a hint of Olive Oil, some soy sauce, garlic powder and salt and pepper - tastes just like Benihanas! YUM!
KiDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I agree, YUM!

My basic way of serving it is sliced thinly on the bias and sauteed with minced garlic in a little olive oil. Mmmm... I also like making zucchini pickles with the young ones. I made a batch a couple weeks ago; so good!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I am having a wonderful time growing this in my veggie garden this year.

I marinade in a terryaki (sp?) sauce then grill it.

Love it with parmesian (sauted or baked)

sometimes i just shred it really thin and put it in a salad or pita with other veggies.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 194/177/?

Height: 5' 4"

I just made a zucchini frittata for the first time last weekend! I usually make frittatas with greens, like swiss chard or spinach, but the zucchini was delicious and creamy.

Summer squash is also very good grilled - just slice into long slices, shake in a ziplock bag with a little olive oil, vinegar, and crushed garlic, and then grill. This is a great option to bring to a barbecue, because it's portable and marinates on the way, and is a festive healthy alternative...
sarah44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #9  

Yum thank you for starting this thread! We planted a garden this year and the summer squash is almost ready!
Judy
judyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:40 PM   #10  
LLV

Wow, lots of yum votes

I love all types of squash, but my favorite thing to do with summer squash is roast it in the oven and put it on sandwiches. I made a fantastic sandwich a couple of weeks ago of nothing but roasted veggies - yellow squash, zucchini, sweet red pepper, onion, etc, and put it all on a whole grain bun with honey mustard dressing and some sliced avocado. It was awesome!
Old 07-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Squash is a tasty component of my "garden frittata" - AKA, "get these veggies out of my fridge before they go bad". Its the best way I know to use leftover veggie bits.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #12  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Squash is a tasty component of my "garden frittata" - AKA, "get these veggies out of my fridge before they go bad". Its the best way I know to use leftover veggie bits.
That's a great idea. I also like to shred zucchini and put it in soup. If I have a bunch of zucchini that I absolutely have no current use for and it's getting to the point where I need to use it or pitch it, I'll make zucchini bread. Not great on the waistline if you eat too much of it, but it's a nice little treat now and then.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #13  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Oh please keep this thread going, my farm coop is great but I get so much summer squash I can use all the ideas I can get.

I like squash boats - scrape the flesh out of halved squash (zucchini works best) leaving about 1/4 in shell. Chop the squash finely and mix with eggbeaters, cheese, some kind of meat or meat substitute if desired, salt pepper, onion...pretty much whatever, return to shells and bake until golden on top.

And shredded squash salted and drained then sauteed with green onion in olive oil and/or butter and topped with parmesan
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #14  
Working My Way Back Down

Here's another yum vote.

We eat this all the time. I like it sauteed with onions, mushrooms and red peppers, and a little Italian seasoning. But I also use it on homemade pizza, in any kind of stir-fry, hollowed out and stuffed as mentioned above. My favorite low cal pasta sauce: finely chopped zucchini and onions sauteed together, then add a can of Italian seasoned diced tomatos and let it cook down til fairly thick. Serve over pasta of your choice. You can of course, add anything you like to this. The secret is to cook out a lot of the liquid so it's thick.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:26 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I love zucchini. When I was younger zucchini bread was my favorite. I try and avoid it now. Now I either slice it add either lemon peper or italian seasoning and grill on the george forman (I don't have a real grill) or I make an foil pack and put the zucchini and other veggies in with lemon peper a tablespoon of water and bake at 350 for like 30 minutes.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote