Old 06-13-2007, 11:15 AM   #1  
LLV

Default This Week's Healthiest Food - Garlic

http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...cf68e93580e481

Oh how I love garlic!

Have any of you ever roasted a whole head of garlic in the oven? It's heavenly. Definitely only for true garlic lovers, but once the garlic is roasted, you can literally squeeze the garlic out of the cloves and spread it onto bread. It becomes sweet and spreadable and it's DIVINE! The best garlic bread you'll ever eat and you don't even need butter. Just squeeze the garlic out onto the bread, spread it around and voila!

I also pick up sweet pickled garlic from my local farm market every year. Whole cloves of garlic in a sweet "brine" with spices. I eat those suckers whole!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:37 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Love garlic. It's one of the greatest "inventions" ever!!! I must use 2 -3 heads a weeks.

I have roasted a whole head - delish.

I use it in my stir fries. Chicken breasts. Salads. I always use a ton of it, chopped when I roast vegetables. Which is several times a week.

Good stuff. No, GREAT stuff.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:54 PM   #3  

I love garlic, but my husband hates the smell. I rather have him then the roasted garlic but it does sound very good.
GrandmaBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:00 PM   #4  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaBetty View Post
I love garlic, but my husband hates the smell. I rather have him then the roasted garlic but it does sound very good.
Awwww pfffffft! I'd rather have my garlic than my boyfriend, LOL.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:02 PM   #5  

Mmm I adore the stuff. I had to since I grew up in Gilroy. Roasted is divine, but I found out the hard way that even if if doesn't taste strong when you are eating it, the next day it will come out of your pores!!!

Even garlic ice cream is good, and garlic chocolate peanut butter cup, but the garlic jelly is icky!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Mmmm... I love garlic. In fact, I can't fathom how some people can cook without it! Of course, those you don't eat garlic leave more for the rest of us! Lol.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:36 AM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
Mmmm... I love garlic. In fact, I can't fathom how some people can cook without it! Of course, those you don't eat garlic leave more for the rest of us! Lol.
I agree! I use a lot of garlic--I almost automatically double the amount any recipe calls for. I haven't had much success roasting it, however, maybe because I tried to roast less than a whole head.

My Dad eats pickled garlic and started giving it to my 5 year-old niece. Apparently she loved it and ate so much of it that she actually started to smell like garlic. My sister (her mother) thought something was wrong with her and almost took her to the doctor before they figured out that it was all the pickled garlic.

I do wish there were a easier way to mince it. I have a mini-food processor that does a good job, but I hate cleaning it. Mincing it by hand is a pain. Anyone have any better solutions?
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I find that if you smash the cloves (I do this to get the papery skin off) then they mince up easier. Of course, I'm not too picky about how finely I mince for most dishes. I don't mind a few stray slightly larger pieces.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:44 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 288/252.8/160

Height: 5'7"

I LOVE pickled garlic!! I had sort of forgotten about it though. I'm going to get some this week. Surely it can't be too high-calorie??

here's a YUMMY YUMMY recipe to try if you like roasted garlic:

Roasted Cauliflower and 16 Roasted Cloves of Garlic:

1 large cauliflower (trimmed/cut to bite size)
16 Cloves garlic, peeled (I use a whole head separated and peeled)
1-2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary (i used dried)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil, plus more to drizzle (you can easily cut this down, just make sure everything is well-coated)

1. Mix oil, rosemary, salt, pepper and garlic together
2. Toss in cauliflower and place in a large casserole dish.
3. Roast in a preheated oven of 450 degrees for 20 mins then pull out give it a toss and return to oven for an additional 10 mins.
emilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #10