Default This Week's Healthiest Food - Avocados

http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...cf68e93580e481

I loooooooooove avocados!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh me toooo!!!! I love em' to pieces. Too much in fact. I could just sit there with a spoon and eat the whole darn thing - but I don't. I wish they had the calories of say a tomato. Oh well. I put them in salads. Sometimes they are the base for the salad. I make guacamole and serve it with cut up veggies. I just adore them. As does my entire family. Not too many things we can say that about.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:22 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

As a relocated Californian, I think it is my job to love Avocados My parents have 2 avocado trees and my mom keeps me informed of avocado prices "They are 5 for $1".... Gee thanks Mom My favorite creation for them is an avocado, hummus and cucumber wrap/sandwich.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #4  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Oh me toooo!!!! I love em' to pieces. Too much in fact. I could just sit there with a spoon and eat the whole darn thing - but I don't. I wish they had the calories of say a tomato.
I know, me too! I love just eating them as is. But normally I slice them up onto salads or make guacamole and I also like putting them in my pita sandwiches.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:25 AM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
As a relocated Californian, I think it is my job to love Avocados My parents have 2 avocado trees and my mom keeps me informed of avocado prices "They are 5 for $1".... Gee thanks Mom My favorite creation for them is an avocado, hummus and cucumber wrap/sandwich.
I like Florida avocados better than California. Actually, it's not the taste that's really that different, but the nutrition info. Florida avocados are lower in fat and calories than California avocados. But the California avocados (typically known as Hass) are way more abundant. Florida avocados are hard to find and only available during certain times of the year where I live.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:48 AM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

The difference in calories in FL vs. CA avocados almost makes me wish I lived in Florida. I'm sure not going to find any Florida avocados out here in California and even if I could find them, I could never justify buying them. But maybe if didn't actually buy them...I have a coworker who lives in Florida, maybe I can get her to send me some avocados!

My SO and I are thinking about planting an avocado tree to replace our lychee tree that didn't do so well in the frost we had this winter. I would love to be able to walk out to the backyard and pick fresh avocados off the tree, although I'm a little concerned that we'd have trouble going through them all since I have to eat them in such small amounts and you can't really freeze them (my SO has huge issues with throwing out food). I wonder what their calorie content would be (we would be planting a dwarf variety, not a Hass).

Nelie, your sandwich is awesome. I had it last week (I added turkey breast and alfafa sprouts) and I liked it so much I ate it four days in a row! It's going to be a regular in my lunch repetoire!
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:27 AM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
My SO and I are thinking about planting an avocado tree to replace our lychee tree that didn't do so well in the frost we had this winter. I would love to be able to walk out to the backyard and pick fresh avocados off the tree, although I'm a little concerned that we'd have trouble going through them all since I have to eat them in such small amounts and you can't really freeze them (my SO has huge issues with throwing out food).
Sell 'em!

If you get an over-abundance of them, do like a little roadside veggie stand and sell them for perhaps a little cheaper than people will find in a store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
I wonder what their calorie content would be (we would be planting a dwarf variety, not a Hass).
Not sure, but you could probably do some research to find out calorie info. I did a quick search on dwarf varieties and all I found was the pricing for the trees but no nutrition information.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I love avocados too! We get them at the farmer's market. The farmer we buy them from grows both kinds (Hass and Bacon avocados.) I believe the bacon variety is the kind they grow in Florida. They are grown in California too, they're just harder to find and they do have a much shorter season.

My favorite way to eat them is with a spoon and a smidge of balsamic vinegar, but that means eating a whole half of one! So I usually just slice up 1/4 and put it on salads or sandwiches.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:27 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

love them...
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote