Are you a cheese-eater?

• I was watching Fashion Police with Joan Rivers several weeks ago, and something she said has stuck with me. They were discussing a photo of Donna Karen and her models. The models were beautifully dressed of course, but Donna was really out of shape and dressed rather dowdy (which is wierd because she designs such sharp clothes.)

Now if you haven't seen Fashion Police, it is on E! and is a weekly, rather snarky dissection of celebreties' fashion choices. I have a fabric store, so I watch it to try and keep up with what is "in." Joan Rivers is a comedian (who also designs wonderful costume jewelry), with quite a sharp tongue and foul mouth. She is also very vain, and spends a lot on plastic surgery and clothes, etc. But, she does have good taste.

Anyway, she was making jokes about Ms Karen's overweight appearance, and spurted out: "I bet she's a cheese-eater. She is, that woman is a cheese-eater!" she exclaimed.

This struck me as odd. Of all the things one can eat to get fat, why would Joan single out cheese? Is that some weight loss secret of the stars? Avoid cheese? Or maybe that is Joan's secret weakness? I know my WW leader confesses that is hers.

I know that I have to watch my cheese intake. My ex-husband loved casseroles smothered in cheese, and it took real effort to cut back on it. My brother, who prides himself on being a vegetarian for over 30 years, is the one who had the heart-attack in his early fifties--he ate no meat, but did rely alot on cheese for his protein. I'm lactose intolerant, so I have a love-hate relationship to it. I cringe when I see yet another recipe for low-fat cheesecake, suggested as on-program dessert. Even with lactaid tablets, cream cheese is off limits. But I can tolerate sharp cheddar or other hard cheeses. I've learned to make my own pizza because the store-bought ones rely too heavily on mozzerella.

So, I throw this out there as a topic of discussion? Are you a cheese-eater? What is your relationship to cheese? Is Joan nuts?
  • Yeah Joan Rivers is nuts LOL.

Eating cheese is not the one single cause for being overweight. I LOVE cheese and do my best to use it in moderation.
  • I have no problem with cheese, as long as I am not eating breads (flour) and sweets. For me, it's not the fats that hurt...it's the sugars.
  • i eat 3/4 c of shredded cheese a week(low fat and FF) thats about all i get dairy wise.
  • My name is Goanna and I am a cheese-a-holic.

Grating the cheese makes it appear more in volume and it seems to appease my need for a large chunk. I use WW pro points kitchen scales and they keep me honest.
  • I think what Joan is referring to is people who have cheese on lots of things.

It's a bit like someone sprinkling sugar over things to taste sweeter. If you keep doing it your bound to put on the pounds.

Cheese and Sugar aren't healthy foods, they are something you should have occasionally, not every day.
  • Yep I'm a chubby lil cheese-eatin' american
    i love cheese. i'd probably be a toothpick if i could convince myself i don't like cheese, potatoes, pasta, and chocolate. those are my 4 fat food groups.

and joan is crazy.