For us Momentum users!!

You're on Page 22 of 23
Go to
  • Hi I am a member that has failed at PP. I have been lurking on this thread for a few days. I am soooo excited to have found this thread. I was doing momentum and losing good and then I excitedly switched to PP. I have failed miserably. I would gain and lose the same 10 pounds regardless of exercise, tracking, and fruit intake. Up one week down the next. I felt like a complete loser. I have ordered Momentum books from ebay and they should arrive Saturday. I am switching back. I thought it was me, because I have a cousin who has lost 46 pounds on PP. I will switch and stick to Momentum.
  • I've had enough........it's time for me to give the old program another go' round because I'm in a slump. I get the feeling that PP works better when you have more weight to lose. The most I've lost at one time on PP has been .8lbs. Now granted, I'm trying to lose less than 20lbs, but still. I remember on the old program I could lose as much as 3lbs and I was smaller than I am now.

Oh I know someones gonna say it's all in my head but we already know that losing weight is more mental than anything. I'm still baffled by all who are eating 29 points.....WOAH!

I hear alot of people saying if you eat the same way you did on the old plan, you should get the same results on the new plan. Well, if that's the case why even try to the new program then? I figure, if it ain't broke....right? Call me crazy, but on this new program, I just feel more reckless.....

Ok.....thanks for letting me vent. I'm off to find my old materials and calculator.

P.S. Was I the only one who was disturbed by everyone needing to purchase a calculator (regardless if it were at a discounted price) to follow the new program?
  • Quote:
    P.S. Was I the only one who was disturbed by everyone needing to purchase a calculator (regardless if it were at a discounted price) to follow the new program?
    FWIW, everyone doesn't need to be a calculator. You can use an iphone (or other smartphone) app or use the calculator on the WW page if you are a monthly pass, etools or at home member. I would guess that the majority of members fall within categories of people who can use those. I know that at the meeting I go to, the vast majority of people use monthly pass so have etools access. (I did buy the calculator but truthfully never need to use it since I use the app or the calculator online).
  • If you are using the etools or calculator, you are following PP and are in the wrong place. This is why I have almost given up posting here, the PP advocates feel compelled to come here and tell us we are wrong. Isn't there enough other places for those following the current WW program to post?

I have been back on Momentum for months and am doing just okay--but that is because I am not tracking real close. Lots of upheavals in my life, including having to drop WW meetings because I can no longer afford it (spouse laid off after 30 years with the company). My business is not doing well, hanging on by the skin of my teeth.

So when I come to the MOMENTUM forum to talk with other users of the WW MOMENTUM program, I get irked that so many posts are by those using POINTS PLUS trying to convert us of the error of our ways.

As a Buddhist I get it from the Christians, and now getting it from the PP people is just pushing my buttons.

Sorry to be so testy, but I am not having a good month.

One good thing-I discovered WASA bread which is low in points and really crunchy.

ps. I am not trying to start a flame war, I apologize to anyone in advance if you take personal offense. Its just so hard to care about what you eat when your world is falling apart.
  • I am not in the least trying to convert anyone to PP. I think it is fine to continue to do Momentum. I also think it is fine not to follow WW at all. I'm all for what works for the specific person.

I was only answering the question asked:

I was answering the question to simply state that it isn't required to purchase a calculator to follow the new program. That's all.
  • Koshka, just out of curiosity, what plan are you on? That explanation you gave sounds like something straight out of a meeting.
  • I am a WW lifetime member currently not at goal weight. Personally I follow a combination of a variety of approaches. I don't find that for me any one program works best. So, I combine approaches.

I do record both PP at WW etools and record calories at livestrong. For awhile I recorded both Momentum Points and PP but found that for my style of eating if I was within my Momentum Points I was within my PP (not a big fruit eater here) so I eventually quit recording Momentum Points.

I don't feel that I have to necessarily meet my PP for the day. I have days that I eat less and days that I eat more. I generally find that I do best if I only eat about 20 of my weekly points. I also don't follow all the GHG all the time. I eat nuts as a primary snack and feel this is a fine substitute for the healthy oils that WW calls for in the GHG. I also think that full fat cheese will meet the milk serving guidelines just fine.

I also have been eating lower carb for about 4 months. Again, I don't find any one plan that I follow. I basically follow a combination of Atkins/South Beach. At this point I generally eat between 1100 and 1200 calories a day and work to keep net carbs below 80 grams a day. I do have a couple of days a week that I eat more calories and more carbs which is when I usually eat most of those 20 WP.

I am a monthly pass member and do go to meetings most weeks. I find that it works best for me to have the accountability of the weekly weigh in and the meeting keeps me focused on weight loss.

I am not here to be a cheerleader for PP. I think that people should use whatever program works best for them. For me, personally, I ate the same on PP and on Momentum (at least until I went low carb). In general, I like the idea of PP using fat, fiber, carbs and protein to determine the point content of food. I feel that is better than the old way of determining points. On the other hand, I think it was a mistake to make fruit 0 points and I think the minimum points for PP are too low. I'm still 20 pounds away from being back to goal and I've been at the minimum 29 points for a long time which just seems ridiculous.

I think that following momentum is fine if it works better. (In my heart, I still think the best WW plans were exchange plans which was what I followed when I got to goal).
  • Hey! The thread started up again! Well, I moved and things in my life changed. My new job has me working so much I had to give up exercise. Considering with the increased work schedule, I'm already asking my family to help take care of my dog, I figured asking them to also take care of other responsibilities while I exercised was probably too much! In any event, things will be better next year. However, my problem continues to be stress from family and work and I will admit that I have struggled mightly with binge eating for about 3 months now. I'm trying to get a handle on it, but it's hard. I made myself a huge pot of the old zero-point soup and I'm hoping that can be my cleansing start for another go at Momentum.

Wish me luck!

Great to see so many new faces around here.
  • Hello, I'm hoping this will be a pretty active site for those of us wishing to follow the Momentum program. I had terrific success with it in the past and really detest the PP program. Guess I love carbs too much. Feeling a little alone out here and looking for a good support group.
  • I'm also discouraged with the PP program. I lost about 40 lbs with the Momentum (points) program, then left to have a baby (and actually lost another eight pounds after the birth before returning to WW). A month after I rejoined after the birth of my son, the PP program was introduced. About two weeks after that my beloved WW leader died, which I will admit didn't help with my transition to PP. I've been hanging in there, tracking, going to meetings, etc., but like many of you, PP just is not working for me. I'm glad there are those it is working for; I'm just not one of them, and I do still have approximately 50 pounds to lose.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this place. My next step is to locate some of the old points literature and get back to what I'm comfortable with! TIA for all the info and support!
  • I am so grateful for finding this site and these threads specifically.

I joined ww in 2003 with a lot of success. Even when I stopped counting points years later, the weight never came back as I had learned about portions and better choices.

The past few months I had to stop going to my daily bikram class due to my work schedule and packed on a few. I went back to my faithful WW meeting and left there so confused regarding PP system. I gave it a shot since it was new and improved and figured why not

I cant believe I am saying this, but I only lost 2 pounds in 4 weeks and quit completely discouraged. I went on ebay bought a points slider and started my version of points. Back to basics by weighing and measuring everything and dropped 4 pounds in a week.

I am happy to find others like myself. This site has provided many useful links and no longer feel alone following an *obsolete* plan

Weight Watchers... what is wrong with you??
  • Anybody Out There? Hello!
    Hey is anyone still in this Forum?! I'm starting again. Lost 2 lbs first week back!
    Anybody out there? You Ladies are still doing Momentum, right?! I haven't been
    on here for a while :-)
  • Giving it another try
    Hi, welcome to the Momentum forum. I'll give it another try.
    I've been away and off WW, dealing with my wife being out of work. She found a job so our life is starting to settle back into a routine.
    I did regain 10 pounds, but seem to have managed to put on the brakes on, stopping there. It just was too difficult to worry about what I ate when I was worrying about whether I would have a place to live.
    I got the go ahead (moneywise) to go back to meetings, and I have committed to start again next Wednesday. But I will still stick with Momentum for my tracking (I won't tell WW/leader that of course.) I realize part of the problem is I really detest having to use technology to figure my points. Also, I do well with the higher fiber that you are rewarded for consuming on Momentum. I like whole wheat bread, etc. and resented that PP treated it the same as white. I also don't really like fruit all that much. Love to eat veggies, but fruit--eh.
    I also have a huge amount of money invested in WW cookbooks that are in points. I know points, and I'm just don't have the mental energy to try and learn the new PP. You can see my older posts about why I went back to MM.
    Wish me luck. And good luck to you.
  • Hi all! I'm a fallen Lifetime member from way back - restarting yet again. I've been following the Momentum Plan off and on at home on my own - using a paper journal, points calculator & Sharpie (to mark the point values on packages ). I've tried using online journaling, my Palm some years back and even downloaded the iWatchr app for my iphone last night but still think pencil and paper work best for me.

I was surprised to hear that many of you weren't thrilled with the new PP plan. I'd actually been wondering what the new plan was like and if I should change to it but was hesitant to do so since I already had the two Companion books, electronic WW food scale, and WW calculator for the Momentum Plan. I've found that the Momentum Plan really works (when I stick with it ), but wondered if I was going to be missing out not going with the "new and improved" plan.

Anyway, I'm back in the saddle again and hope I can report losses like so many of you have! I wish us all luck!!!

Melissa
  • Hi Melissa,
    I briefly tried the on line version of the PP but still like the momentum plan. I have a excel program that tracks EVERYTHING for my momentum program (PM me if you want the link...it was free and it's wonderful) that I am just comfortable with. Being able to have fruit at a 0 point is scary to me and to have so many points a day to me seems weird. I have considered doing both plans and "tricking" my body.

Good luck