3 day work trip, freaking out a bit

• Ok so in a few weeks I am going out of town for 3 days for training. The hotel we are staying at does have a mini fridge but thats all. (also a 24 hr gym woohoo!) We will be having out meals out for 3 full days and I am kind of freaking out as to what I will be able to eat. I don't know any of the resturants in the area so I can't even plan ahead that way.

I am going to stock the mini fridge with fruit and snack to keep me going throughout the day so I can just have small meals out. This will be a huge test of my will power!! Right now I feel like I am in a 'controlled' environment at home with only surrounding myself with good healthy food and snacks and I am scared This probably sounds silly but its causing me some stress...

Any ideas or suggestions to make my trip successful?
  • Business trips are the worst! Kudos to you for planning ahead with healthy snacks!

I travel a lot for work so when I'm dining out, I either try to pick the places in advance (so I can check out the menu and order on plan), or you have to stick to what you know. Think half portions of everything! Get a salad, dressing on the side or seafood. Shimp cocktail is VERY low and to me, filling and yummy!

Don't let others choices influence you. Go in with a plan and stick to it. No meal you have on this trip will be as satisfying as being healthy. You got this one girl! You can do it!
  • Ah, now meals out are great when we're losing weight - honestly! Last year I lost weight when I was on holiday in Spain and eating out every day.

Don't panic, remember, You're In Charge of what you eat. It Won't be the same as in previous GorgeYourFace days (Well, I had them, apologies if you didn't) but you're the customer, you're the boss. Look carefully at the menu - and either pick what comes closest to WW (I don't know what's in the plan) or go for lean meat and veg./salads. It's Not dull, and I found it got easier to do it, and without annoying companions either. I found that delicious roast meats that I might not have made myself, absolutely fresh salads and fruit - not like the stuff that lies in my fridge for days going brown - was an absolute treat to eat.

The other thing I set up for myself in advance was my list of I don'ts:
    I don't eat sugar
    I don't eat processed meats
    I don't eat wheat
    or whatever.

I found it easier to say that, internally or externally according to need, rather than say 'I'm on a diet'. To me "I don't" is me being in charge; "I'm on a diet" gives people carte blanche to think it funny to try and tempt me off. No-one's been rude enough ever to ask why "I don't", plenty people have tried to tempt me off the diet.

Good luck!
  • Jenny - The ladies have some good tips! Can you call the hotel to get an idea of the retaurants near there or your training site (it might be the same)? Sometimes they can fax menus to you so you can plan ahead.

Rosinante - I'm going to borrow this for Thanksgiving week-end!
    Quote:
    To me "I don't" is me being in charge; "I'm on a diet" gives people carte blanche to think it funny to try and tempt me off. No-one's been rude enough ever to ask why "I don't", plenty people have tried to tempt me off the diet.
  • Good tips here and good luck Jenny T. I started the program today and I am going to a meeting at Dave & Busters tonight. I already checked out the menu and it's crap (mostly bar food). I am going to order steamed broccoli, chicken breast or fish and steamed carrots or something. I will probably have a glass of wine. I did a 40 min workout today and still have 8.5 points to go (yes I'm hungry).

Again Good Luck!
  • I love the "I don't" line too... As someone who never likes to advertise when I'm trying to lose weight, it's a great excuse for turning down food if people try to force it on you
  • Thanks everyone for your great tips! I too like the "I don't" comment