Old 08-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 163.8 / 158 / 120

Height: 5' 1"

Default Question about bringing *your own* food to other people's houses...

Hi everyone!

I am a new WW member (5 weeks!) and new to this site as well. I have a question that hopefully you guys can help me with, about bringing your own low-point food to someone's house, and how to deal with weird reactions...

Basically, whenever I am going camping or something with my bf, I obviously can bring my own low-point food. But it seems to get trickier if we are going to stay with friends or family for the weekend. I mean, its hard to find a good filling breakfast that is low in points, and it takes specific foods...so if those foods aren't there, I'll either end up blowing all my points or be starving all day!

There are some places where this isn't a problem, like at my Mom or sister's houses, but I'm finding that some people seem to get really offended when you turn down food for your own option. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm not even talking about turning down like a beautiful home-cooked meal, which I wouldn't do, but more like opting to eat rice crackers over doritos. And people get seriously offended!

I'm sorry for the long post, but I'm finding this really hard to deal with - at work and also from friends and family. It doesn't seem to matter how graciously I decline, or whether they know I'm trying to lose weight - in fact this sometimes makes it worse!

Any advice or help would be really appreciated! Thanks
bmma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #2  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I have heard people on here suggest things like telling people your Dr. put you on a specific diet. People tend not to get as offended if they think it is Dr. prescribed.

Or you could tell them you have been having a food allergy and you have been working with your Dr to figure out what it is - no one wants to risk anyone having an allergic reaction.

Or be up front and just let them get over it.

OR - you can always offer to bring something to share - then make something for everyone that is low points.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I usually take something to share. On my way down especially! I didn't care if anyone else ate what I brought or not--so long as I had something to eat once I go there.

I would take small bits--very small bits of the other food but the vast, vast majority of my plate was what I brought.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #4  
long journey

S/C/G: 222/197/155

Height: 5' 7''

I guess I have it lucky. We are going down to friends for the weekend at their cottage. So I offered to make the meal plan & do the shopping. I know they like deli, so I got some low sodium 97% fat free chicken , and then some other meats as well, for lunches. This way I Know I will be safe. So supper I went with chicken breasts & some steaks, which I will season & do on the bbq. I just tell them it all has to do with my sodium & high blood pressure, which use to be an issue, but not anymore. I think people aren't stupid, but polite as well. They do see changes in your appearance ( hopefully), and sometimes they put 2 & 2 together, and just roll with it.
ifatfirstwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

With good friends, I just bring my own meal, if I know they aren't the healthiest eaters. Parties and such, I bring enough to share.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote