Newbie - Am I doing this right?!

• hello all!

I started WW yesterday and I came across this site and thought it was absolutely fabulous! I love the idea of sharing ideas and supporting each other!

I have a question for all you pros out there
    I bought the WW materials couple of years ago with every intent of using it and I finally buckled down and made myself start this weight loss journey...
    I weighed myself yesterday morning, and watched my points intake all day, here is what I ate yesterday, can someone tell me if I'm on the right track?

BREAKFAST:
    Bagel Thins w/ 1 tbs SF marmelade -- 1.5
    Cup of Skim Milk -- 2
    1/2 Banana -- 1

SNACK:
    Fiber one Yogurt --- 0

LUNCH:
    Bagel thin sandwich w/ 1.5 oz turkey --- 2
    cucumber --- 0
    Chips w/ salsa --- 3
    2 prunes --- 0.5

SNACK:
    apple -- 1

DINNER:
    WW recipe General Tso -- 6
    1 cup brocolli --- 0
    1/2 cup low fat Ice cream --- 3

SNACK:
    1 cup fresh cherries --- 1

TOTAL POINTS -- 21

32 oz water ( i know my water intake should be double this but I'm working on it)

I started exercising 5 times a week, 2 weeks ago - Running ~ 3.5 miles with my doggie...

Also, I am currently a med student trying to make ends meet with loans, so I really cannot afford to (or have time) to go to the meetings.

Any input that you guys can give me will be much appreciated!!! Thanks!
  • Well I am not on weight watchers but 21 points seems kind of low. If you do not eat enough you are not going to lose weight. Your body will think you are starving itself.
  • It sounds like you are doing everything just fine. Are you aware that you can add points for exercise? If you don't want to attend meetings you can use WW online tools -- pretty inexpensive. With my body, I need to put a lot of points into protein and really watch the carbs, but that's just what I've learned about myself over the last 20 or so years! Good luck!
  • I am aware of the activity points, but concerned about using them if I use the flex points.
    My husband and I like to go out to eat, but will be cutting back to maybe just 1 day a week, so I want to use the Flex points for that.

But I guess adding an extra fruit or a low fat/high protein snack during my workout days wouldn't hurt. I guess I will just have to play with activity & flex points for a few weeks to see what works for me...

Thanks for the replies!
  • I started WW tonight. I am mid 30's and mostly sedentary at work. I am allowed 19 points a day so I don't think you are doing anything wrong at 21 points.
  • I find that protein is the best tool in fighting hunger. I usually pack my lunch bag with eggs (2 pts each) and laughing cow cheese (1 pt) tunafish is a great low point item as well.