realistic goals

• So I've never really set goals before, because I didn't want to be disappointed. Although now I'm keeping my eyes on the prize, I need to set realistic expectations of myself. So that being said, is reaching for my 10% (18 lbs) an attainable task to acheive in a 3 month period? I have set a few other goals that I would like to meet daily as well.
  • Heyo
    I don't, personally, put time restrictions on myself (anymore!). You can look at the healthy guidelines for weight loss (1-2lbs/week) and gauge from there that you would be between 12-24 lbs lost in 3 months... But bodies are strange, and not analytical like numbers: So you may lose 5lbs your first week, and then nothing for 2 weeks, then another 5lbs, etc. OR... Hey-- You might actually lose 1-2lbs/week! You never really know...

I would say just look forward for your 10% goal (or if 18lbs is too daunting, take it down to 5%), and if you HAPPEN to reach it in 3 months, then hooray!

Also-- In order to not get discouraged from your ebbs and flows of weight loss, try keeping a chart of your weight loss: You'll see an overall downward trend, whether it's choppy or consistent, and that is always fun to see!
  • keep your eyes on the prize anything is possible with hard work and dedication
  • I had to stop giving myself time restrictions.I have a mini-goal. When I get there I get there. No pressure. I find myself doing better this way.But,everyone is different.
  • I've stopped looking at the calendar to mark my weight loss, it didn't go on overnight, it won't come off overnight.

That said, I lost 19lbs in the first three weeks, so I met my 10% in 4.

Good luck, no matter how long it takes!
  • You know, though, goals CAN be motivating. If we didn't have any goals, and just let things comes as they may, we probably wouldn't accomplish much in life!
    The key is choosing an appropriate goal! Often time-based weight loss goals can be effective IF they are reasonable and IF you don't see it as the be-all and end-all measurement of success.
    Think of it this way. You have a 10% goal in 3 months. 1.5 lbs per week. Achievable, certainly. Probable? Don't know. But important because if you are losing, say, 1/2 lb a week, you may benefit from reviewing your plan to make sure that you are being accurate. It serves as a feedback mechanism.
    BUT, if you are doing everything that you should, and you lose 1/2 lb per week, then the goal has to be adjusted.
    My goal is to lose 5 lbs per month on average. I graph and chart my weight. If I'm not on target, I go back to basics and make sure am journalling and weighing everything, and adjust my flex points.
    IF I've done everything correctly, then it is just a slow month for whatever reason.
    I am still SUCCESSFUL, though, because my definition of success isn't numbers-based. It is based on my compliance to the program and the amount of exercise that I do. How closely I reach my goal is a tool that I use to ensure that I am successful i.e. following the program. The numbers will take care of themselves.

Hope this makes sense!!!

Kira
  • I feel as though I'm programed to rate my success on what the scale says....I totally agree, and that is what I strive to realize, that if I'm doing everything I need to and giving and honest effort, I will see progress, even if it's not in a number. It's just so hard to get out of that mindset, but obviously that way hasn't been beneficial for me, so why not try something new. On that note, I think I'll try and look around to see what kind of non-scale success others have had. Thanks ladies!
  • I hear what you are saying. We've all had the mindset that x lbs in y weeks = success. And if I don't LOSE the way I want to or have decided I MUST, then I am a failure. Result? BINGE!!!

For me, defining success is actually pretty simple. If I eat properly within my points and get my exercise/activity of choice in, then I am successful! I can't make the scales move. If I COULD, I'd be skinny by now!!!
    So success = how close I am to following the program because that is ALL that I can control. Everything else is what it is.

And the pressure relief is AMAZING -- I am concerned by the numbers, but not ruled by them!

Kira
  • Sounds like you guys are right on track. It took me a long time to not be ruled by the scale. It still haunts me sometimes, but looking at "am I changing my lifestyle?" more than "did I lose x number of lbs." is helping.

Like Kira I set about 5 lbs. a month as my goal and then adjust.

On the treadmill I'll switch between time and distance to keep going, like I'll try for 5 more minutes, but if that seems too hard, I'll try to get to the next distance marker, like 1.5 miles then switch back to the 5 minute marker cause maybe I'll only have 2 minutes left to make that.

Don't know if that makes sense, but I do the same thing with the scale, try to get to the next 5 or 10, like 180 to 175, but I started (this time) at 182, so 178 is 5 lbs....so when I get there I shoot for 175...

Just a way to keep the mindset to keep going, don't give up, I guess that's the key, if your goal is getting in the way of keeping you on your program, making you feel bad instead of good, then it needs to be changed.

I think I've babbled enough...
  • A great goal is to maintain or lose a little, not a number or time frame. I think numbers and time frames = disappointment.
  • This is my second attempt at weight watchers and this time I am in it for the long haul. When I first joined last year the 10% goal seemed very overwhelming but now they have the 5% goal and in your 3 month tracker or online at WW.com you can track your weight and actually see a graph of your weight loss. I feel like I'm finally motivated and have the tools to succeed. forums like this are also helpful.
  • Anything that helps keep you moving forward is great, whether it's tied to the scale, how many minutes you can walk, fitting into some article of clothing, even passing up or eating less of some trigger food. Keep celebrating accomplishments!
  • Unload2,

Hi there,
    I set my goal for 1 1/2 a week. The experts say anything between 1-2 lbs. a week is safe and will last long term. Having said that, I thought to myself, what would I be happy in a size 14, 12, 8? and then I set my goal that way as well. My goal is to lose 85 lbs in 14 months (my son's 3rd bday) but if I get into a 9/10 and am a little heavier than my goal weight I could still be happy, does any of that make sense?

I hope so.
    Good luck, rooting for ya,
    Ashley