3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Momentum / Flex (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/momentum-flex-222/)
-   -   Does anybody have any good snack ideas? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/momentum-flex/160876-does-anybody-have-any-good-snack-ideas.html)

SignsofPoetry 01-09-2009 12:18 AM

Does anybody have any good snack ideas?

I have been on Weight Watchers for a couple of days now, and I am running out of things to eat. In the past couple of days i have been pigging out on carrots and salads. It's not that bad, but now I don't have any carrots left, and all of the lettuce in the house is gone too. It's making it hard for me to meet my daily oil requirements. Yesterday I had a salad with my Lean Cuisine and today I had baby carrot sticks roasted with oil, salt and pepper.

I am walking to the local grocery store tomorrow to buy some eggs to make cookies for a church youth event. (I'm probably going to have to skip eating the cookies this time though...I think one cookie will be about as much as a normal meal is for me now). While I'm there, I want to pick up some low-point snacks. I'm really looking for things that are sweet, salty, and things that give me a lot for the points...while avoiding the produce section since I don't trust there lol.

I know Low Fat Popcorn is a good snack, and I tried the 100 Calorie Hostess Cupcake Snack Packs today. It's not a bad sweet treat for only one point.

I'm looking for some good ideas for snacks. Maybe I can bring my own snacks to youth group tomorrow so I don't pig out on chips and cookies.

It's going to be hard enough to resist licking the bowl when I make them...funfetti cake mix cookies with frosting. TWO boxes worth... :drool:

jar1965 01-09-2009 07:22 AM

Hi! I think the snacks are endless these days. 100 calorie packs are made by every company out there. Go up and down the isle........you will see tons to choose from. Some of my favs. when I'm craving salty.........I LOVE choclate carmel chex mix and 100 calorie pringles. But, if you don't want to pay the prices - you can buy the "normal" packages and follow the serving size and make baggies of it ahead of time. Like 12 pretzel twists and lowfat or fatfree ranch dressing.
Also: I LOVE clementines. I think 2 are 1 point, but not positive! Or, an apple with fatfree carmel dip!

The options are endless. Good Luck!
Nice to meet you!
~jeanne

PS - Also, I notice that you are new to the forum, there are a bunch of WW clubs & groups out there! Have fun here~

jar1965 01-09-2009 07:23 AM

PS - I don't have any advice about those cookies, they sound delicious!!! I would have to eat them so I think I would pick an alternative. Like stopping at wal-mart and buying their iced cookies with sprinkles ON THE WAY TO YOUTH GROUP! haha! Good Luck with that!

TJFitnessDiva 01-09-2009 08:24 AM

Some snack ideas are....pretzel sticks (usually you get around 50 pcs for 2 points), broccoli & ff dressing, grapes, oranges, apples, sliced cucumbers, strawberries, fiber one bars etc! The possibilities are out there :)

I usually portion the smaller items in the snack ziploc baggies so I can grab and go. I try to stay away from the 100 cal packs since they are not very filling so after you eat that you are wanting to reach for another one...and when you eat them one after another 2 + 2 does not = 4 lol

Stephaniek 01-09-2009 10:57 AM

Wasa Fiber Rye crackers are a mainstay for me because you can go salty or sweet depending on what you put on top.

I like to take a Wasa + Lauging Cow Cheese wedge for a 1 pt salty snack.
Wasa + 1 Tbsp of lite whipped cream cheese with a teaspoon of jelly placed under a broiler for a couple minutes for a sweet 1-2 pt. snack.

MaddiesMom 01-09-2009 11:00 AM

I like fuji apples and reduced fat crunchy peanut butter. That way you're getting the salty and the sweet. Plus there's a little crunch from the crunchy peanut butter.

Daimere 01-09-2009 11:50 AM

Oranges, green peppers, celelry, cherry tomatoes, fiber one bars, wasa crackers with laughing cow cheese, a serving size of this one calorie deli meat I found(that would be 6 slices for that brand), yogurt, fruit chiller, and probably a bunch more.

QuilterInVA 01-09-2009 04:59 PM

100 calorie packs are not nutritious or filling. They are a terrible value. Fruit, popcorn, baked tortilla chips and salsa, all good snacks. Sugar free jello or sugar free, fat free pudding make good sweet snacks.

chelley123 01-09-2009 06:37 PM

Susan- I have to say that the 100 calorie packs are usually just what I need to calm a craving. I do not like to pumo my body full of chemicals so I try to avoid all the sugar free items. I DO want to lose weight but I don't want to get cancer from fake sugar, LOL
Michelle

SignsofPoetry 01-10-2009 02:44 PM

I actually hate the taste of fake sugar. I completely gave up soda back in September when I was attempting to diet on my own. I knew I couldn't keep wasting calories on regular soda and the aftertaste of fake sugar is just gross. I'd rather drink no soda.

I'm actually hoping to get more grapes. A cup of frozen grapes is only a point or so and it seems like so much more than it really is.

I am annoyed by the popcorn though. I misread the nutritional information on the side of the box. They give the nutritional information per CUP and I thought they were giving the nutritional information per SERVING. Oops! That set me back a little. I think that's why they have allowance points. So people (like me) don't feel too bad for making stupid little mistakes (like misreading that a serving of oil is a TABLESPOON instead of a TEASPOON...ouch).

And 100 calorie packs aren't nutritious or filling (and I don't like most of them) but Hostess has 100 calorie strawberry cupcakes. They're one point (barely...but still) and they are sooooooooooo good. They're extremely sweet and I almost forget they're only 1 point. They're really tiny, but if they were any bigger they'd be too much. That's how sweet they are.

And who doesn't like cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and cream filling?

Stephaniek 01-11-2009 07:38 AM

For some of us those types of snacks tend to stall or reverse progress. If I'm not careful those little 1 pt. snacks trigger cravings for more snacks. Snacking is what gets me in major trouble with grazing every time. Every time I have lost a significant amount of weight the snacking has triggered the regain. I do think that is one reason for the change in the plan from just counting points on whatever we eat to focusing on filling foods. One point of a nutrient dense food is not the same as one point of non-nutritious food.

SignsofPoetry 01-11-2009 09:36 PM

I do try to get most of my points with nutritious food (I challenge myself to see how much food I can get with a small amount of points), but for a sweet treat those snack cakes are pretty good. They're expensive, so I don't get them often. I've only had one snack.

My usual idea of a "snack" is a cup of grapes and a WW string cheese or a side salad with fat-free dressing and a points worth of fruit or a string cheese. But for a dessert or an alternative to other sweet treats when others are pigging out on 8 point slices of cake, the snack cakes aren't too bad.

And when I do have the snack cakes I eat one little packet ONLY. No more. I save the rest for another day. I never have an unhealthy snack more than once a day...if that.

kestrel 01-12-2009 12:39 AM

Popcorn is one of my favorites. I have a big just of just regular popcorn that I bought at Costco - I put 1/4 cup in a brown lunch bag, roll the top down a few times and then nuke it just like regular microwave popcorn, without all the added crap. 3 cups is just 1 point. For flavor I spritz it with just a little bit of lime juice (I can't have dairy, so no milk), chili powder and salt.

trowter 01-12-2009 12:47 AM

For 2 points, I eat Kashi TLC granola bars. Very healthy, and taste great

jen79 01-28-2009 05:47 PM

I highly recommend the Fiber One bars. They have several flavors, and I think they're all 2 points each (including 9 grams of fiber!!!). They're also available in big boxes at Costco, and I know that some stores have their own (cheaper) versions. I've tried the Target ones, and I've been told that Wal-Mart makes some too.