Old 11-16-2008, 01:47 AM   #1  
just a girl

S/C/G: 215/196/135

Height: 5'6''

Default following Flex, but not going to meetings

A coworker of mine is participating in Weight Watchers at Work and has been kind enough to share the information from her materials. She also got me one of the new calculators that will keep track of your used points in addition to calculating them. I have been following the guidelines of Flex for about a month and so far I am down almost 10 pounds. Anyway I was just wondering a couple things. First, I am not attending meetings and want to know how essential the meetings are? Are they vital to the plan? Is there something I could accomplish by going to meetings that I couldn't accomplish between 3FC and home? Second, are there others here that have done this successfully without meetings? What are your experiences?

Anyway, I am glad to join you. I have been a 3FC member about a month now. I hang around the Support forum a lot. I also am fond of the Chicks in Control boards. I still need to work better on portion control. The good news is I am making much better food choices now! Okay, enough of me being rambly. Look forward to what I can learn here. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by foxsealady; 11-16-2008 at 01:48 AM.
foxsealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:09 AM   #2  
I want the fully monty..

S/C/G: 240/check ticker/170

Height: 6ft

I personally haven't went to any meetings and have lost 30lb. The meetings are used for more accountability than anything; it gives people something to work towards. They do discuss different things including products, way things work, etc. However, being in college, it's just not realistic for me. It's too expensive.

Last edited by xdominic89x; 11-16-2008 at 02:10 AM.
xdominic89x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

I don't go to meetings either and I've lost 31 pounds. The meetings are about 1/2 hour drive and with work, kids and all of that stuff, I just felt it was too hard. I did do the online program at first, but it didn't really do anything for me. It's really all about you and whether you have the drive and ability to do it on your own. I first did ww after my first baby 4 years ago and I couldn't have done it without that support. I also think if you have a friend to do it with you then it is a lot easier. I also know that I couldn't have done without this website. : )
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:07 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

I go to meetings, and I would highly recommend them! (You can see people's opinions differ on this matter.) Yes, it can be expensive, but you get all of the new plan information as it becomes available and if you use the monthly pass (the cheapest way to do meetings, works out to about $10 each), you get access to all off WW's online program support tools. The meetings are an integral part of the process for me. Going there each week revs me up for the week to come. Hearing other people in person talk about their struggles and successes is highly motivating. Sure, 3FC is a great place to come for support, but there is something about having that in-person element which makes a big difference.

Success can be had either way, which is why WW created the WW@Home program. Personally I've had much more success *sticking to it* by going to meetings, when I was doing it alone I fell off and never got back on!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #5  
Slowly but surely

S/C/G: 210/210/160

Height: 5' 8"

I'm not going to meetings either. With three kids 4 years old and under and a deployed hubby, it's just not realistic for me to get to meetings right now. I am doing WW Online, though, and I really like the Points Tracker.
kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #6  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

I'm also following flex but not going to meetings. I did the online program a couple of years ago and a friend gave me a points calculator. I currently hav a co-worker who is on the core plan so we talk daily about our progress and are ther to cheer each other on. These boards have been great and for now doing without the meetings is working for me. I know everyone is different. Keep up the good work!

C
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:05 PM   #7  
Body Bugg user

S/C/G: 263/160/140

Height: 5'3.25

Hi all!
New here but been doing WW flex online since Sept 2 2008.
For us (dh and I) there is enough accountability cause we are paying for it (vs a spreadsheet or something that we could make/use for free) but not having to go to a meeting is handy for us.
Best of luck to all, meetings or not!
Gretchenpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #8  

Height: 4' 10"

I think it all depends on you. I'm sure that there is a lot to be learned from the meetings, I hope I can start going next year. But for now I'm doing just fine doing it at home. I've also lost about 30 lbs so far. It can be done at home too.
DollyLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #9  
just a girl

S/C/G: 215/196/135

Height: 5'6''

Thanks for all the input. It's nice to know that not everybody does the meetings. While I can see there is value in going, for now I'll continue following the plan at home. My guy is also following Flex with me, but not whole heartedly and not with accountability. That's one of the reasons I turned to 3FC. I made sure in the beginning, when I decided to make health changes, to stay responsible for my weight loss. I have an official weigh in date and I am working my way up in terms of physical activity. This site has helped me keep perspective, it has given me inspiration and a way to share the ups and downs. So far I am really digging Flex but I don't think of it as a permanent change. It's helped me to transition from my old eating habits to new ones. I think I'll eventually move to Core, which seems to be a more balanced nutrition plan. And should the time come that I need a little something more, I will certainly consider meetings. Thanks again everyone.
foxsealady is offline   Reply With Quote