Old 09-20-2008, 11:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/176.6/155

Height: 5'9"

Default what to do about a hectic day at work

my job is such that I do not always get to eat lunch. I keep energy bars and other healthy snacks in my desk, but the problem is that an energy bar will only hold me for a couple of hours and then beyond that, it doesn't matter how many of those i eat, or what other snacks i eat, I stay hungry--starving actually until i can get some real food. If I actually have milk or yogurt at work and actually have enough time to walk across the hall and have that with the energy bar, it usually holds me 3-4 hours (a regular meal usually holds me 4-6). It really does get crazy enough some days that I can't go down the hall to the staff refrigerator to get anything (and I don't usually have the milk or yogurt there anyways). If I'm lucky, the craziness will subside after a couple hours and I can go get my food, but that doesn't always happen.
Any suggestions for what I can do about this problem?
vo0do0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

There are some awesome threads on snacks. Maybe you can make some of them and keep them in your desk (ones that don't have to be refridgerated)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151115

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151152
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/176.6/155

Height: 5'9"

okay there are a few suggestions in some of those threads that I could try to see if something will squelch the "bottomless pit" phase that i hit about 2-3 hours after the first energy bar.
I can try the apples and nut butter thing (i keep peanut butter in my desk), but I'm not a huge fan of apples... if i get tart ones i might be able to stomach enough to calm the beast. I also see that someone mentioned lite vienna sausages, which could quite possibly help the problem since they are meat of sorts, but i'm assuming that even though they are "lite", they probably still made of junk.

When I was at the store, I got some south beach drink mixer things that are supposed to help tide you over and some sugar free pudding that does not have to be refrigerated... yuck... warm pudding and hydrogenated oils... But, assuming it works, it'll be better than eating everything in my desk and looking for more.

any other ideas on how not to eat my weight in (healthy) snacks?

Last edited by vo0do0; 09-21-2008 at 12:15 PM.
vo0do0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #4  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 312.0/ticker/212.0

Height: 6'0"

Have you ever thought of packing a small cooler with those frozen ice things to keep some things cool at your desk? I just bought these 2 items and they are wonderful. My daughter who is 10 loves to take salads for her lunch but as you may or may not know, in elementary school, there cannot refridgerate or heat their lunches. The containers work wonderful keeping the stuff in them cold. Totally worth every penny!!

http://www.freshapproachdietstore.co..._and_fresh.php

http://www.freshapproachdietstore.co..._and_fresh.php

Last edited by steph0320; 09-23-2008 at 12:08 PM.
steph0320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/183/136

Height: 5'2"

My thoughts exactly. I have a crazy job too and I HATE to be hungry. I pack a lunch cooler every morning and keep it at my desk with snacks. Lots of cut up veggies, lite cheese sticks (1 pt), yogurt, fruit and curves bars. I also have some peanut butter and bavarian pretzels in the file cabinet for emergency hunger. Not only do I not get hungry but I usually have all of my veggies and fruit servings and milk servings for the day by the time I get home.

Good luck!
philadelphiab is offline   Reply With Quote