Old 04-26-2008, 02:18 AM   #1  
keep on truckin'

S/C/G: 253/249/190

Height: 6'1

Default nibbles?

Okay so tomorrow is going to be my first weigh in in 2 weeks...I have purposely been avoiding the scale because it doesn't tell me what I want!

anyways, I know that if I don't have a loss it is because I nibble too much!!! Do you guys do this? Like today alone, I thought about all the little "bites" I took of everything. For the whole day I nibbled: 5 chocolate chips, 3 cheez-its, 4 cashews, 3 bites of low fat ice cream, 3 peanuts, and 2 bites of ben and jerry's. That is SO bad! I tell myself "oh it's just one bite, it doesn't even count". But honestly I probably ate around 3-6 points over in nibbles alone!!! That is definitely my problem...

It is because I didn't have much points left, and I was so hungry and premenstrual that I just wanted to take little "bites" of everything. Do you guys do this???

I am definitely going to stop!
vdaybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:26 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

If you nibble you must scribble!

While it's good to be satisfied with just that little taste of food (and not more) I think that in your situation you might be happier if you could just have a good serving of something and enjoy it! Besides, sometimes those bites are half a serving already (like for Ben & Jerry's) so it might benefit you to just work in the serving.

Also, these look like "urge" situations. Where you might grab 3 cheez-its because the boy is eating a small bag, or you might grab some cashews because they're on the counter. (Unless I'm reading into that incorrectly & you went looking for these things?) If it is an urge, sometimes it helps just identify why it is you're grabbing for a bite of these things. "I only wanted the ice cream because it's in front of the veggies I was going to grab from the freezer, I'm not really craving ice cream right now so I don't need to have any."

In any case, I know now that you see what's going on, you'll work to put a stop to it!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I totally agree with Faerie -- write it down!! of course, it seems you already are. seeing as you posted all your nibbles, but by tracking it all, you can see if you can lose weight even if you snack. I'm not saying you should track it to feel guiltyl, but just to see if there are differences.
good luck!
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Bite it & write it It's good to see you're aware that your nibbles add up, instead of wandering around clueless as to why your weight isn't moving. So bravo for that, that's something that some people have trouble acknowledging.

I agree with Faerie too, find out why it is you find the urge to have just a couple of something, and see if you can get rid of that trigger. I know I'm more tempted to take a couple of nuts from a can if it's sitting out within sight whenever I pass the kitchen. If I put the can away, it can stay around for months without me wanting any.

Another thing I do is I've started not planning about 3 of my daily points, because I know I'll want something randomly during the day that I haven't planned for. These daily snacks were eating at my FPs, which I need for bigger things, so I started allowing room for the snacks (and accepting them instead of fighting it) and that seems to work. But that of course means I don't eat as much at meals, so it's a trade-off.

Good luck with it, and go weigh in -- you might need that reality check!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:00 AM   #5  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

First - kudos for recognizing you're grazing and it adds up.

Consider preparing 0 point snacks so they're as handy and appetizing as the other items. I'm specifically thinking of cut up veggies that you like. I make sure I have 2-3 snacks available at work like this: Colorful bell pepper strips, small tomatoes, snowpeas, radishes, cucumber slices, raw broccoli. 0 points, good for you, filling in the short term and packed with flavor. Not zero points, but also good for you low/no fat cottage cheese, already portioned out, small low/no fat servings of cheese, portioned almonds or pistachios. By portioned, it doesn't have to be more expensive packaged smaller servings, but items you've measured out into individual plastic serving containers or baggies.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

vday-those nibbles do add up, but I agree with all the advice that was given

I also have that problem, and instead of just nibbling, I do what Faerie suggested, have that one thing that I really want { I decide that first, standing in front of the fridge or pantry is a weakness} and then account for those points.

Good Luck at WI, hope it goes well
Institches21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #7  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I remember somebody posting about journaling/tracking topic at their meeting. In fact I wrote "it" down

if you drink it, ink it
if you nibble it, scribble it
if you hog it, log it
if you bite it, write it

sorry I didn't write the poster's name so I could credit them, but now that I'm almost at goal, I find I can take one week off from tracking, but two gets me into trouble, so I'm seriously writing everything like a monk one week and then doing it in my head the next and back to scribbling the next...it seems to be working

I'm always thinking of our leader's little saying, watch out for those BLTs, bites, licks and tastes...being aware is the first step, maybe just writing them down even if you don't figure out their net worth will help slow them down.

best of luck and thanks for making me more aware, too...
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:50 AM   #8  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

Hear hear on everything you heard!

I would also add Keep in mind... those 0pter's do add up as well. ( Sorry but they do. ) How many times have you heard... I eat healthy but my portions were out of control. I call them sneaky pete points.

One of my wise wonderful leader's told me for every 5 freebies or 0 pointers, give em a point. That little tip alone has worked wonders for my program! God bless our leaders!!
sweetnsassyfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 262/ See Ticker / 150

Height: 5' 4"

Good advice on the every 5 freebies write down a point!

I do a lot of computer work and would find myself nibbling on the snacks that I had scattered all over my desk at home. When I started, I cleaned out my drawer of those and gave them to my size 3 daughter who doesn't walk everywhere, she skips! LOL (I would love to have that energy)

Anyway, I had a stack of papers & folders on one corner of my desk that I decided to file, and underneath, I found a pack of pull n peel twizzlers and those mini dove chocolates! Now, that being said - I KNOW what my limits are, and if I 'just had one' I would eat the whole package. So, those went into the garbage **outside**.

The same thing goes for me with snacking. If it is out and visible, I will have a nibble here and there and I will start of landslide of nibbles.

That goes for me when I am cooking too. I love my homemade spag. sauce. It would be nothing for me to get a slice of white bread, butter it a 1/2 inch thick, and spoon out some sauce into a compote and dip the bread in it and "test" the sauce..

Those are my triggers and if I consciously avoid doing that because I recognize those habits, I will eliminate those "sneaky pete's" <--love that term.. so true!

It isn't easy to overcome those habits, but you can and you are on the track to do so as you recognize that you are doing that!
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:35 PM   #10  
keep on truckin'

S/C/G: 253/249/190

Height: 6'1

Yeah I have just always been a snacker...and it is time to stop!
I need to get used to snacking for the energy of food and not snacking for the tastes...

I like that saying "Avoid the BLT's: bites, tastes and licks". I will definitely keep that in mind EVERY time I want to bite, lick or taste something that I shouldn't be!
vdaybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

Thumbs up

I love all the advice, I do plan to write them down, specially the 0 pts one, on my journel pages, 5 0pts, I lose a pt.

It's funny how the packaging misleads you, never does 0+0 equal 0. Chey I also like to "test" just to make sure, now I try to have some cut up veggies on the counter, so every time I need a nibble, that's what I nibble.

sweetnsassy- Love that-sneaky pete points , that one is a gem
Institches21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #12  
Blonde Bombshell

S/C/G: 164/133/136

Height: 5'8''

My leader recommended putting everything that you feel like "BLT" throughout the day into a bowl, and at the end of the day, you will be able to go back and evaluate! It adds up!!

It's hard, I know..I loooove to cook and bake and I always want to sample, or lick my fingers! So I always chew gum while cooking and wash my hands immediately! Good luck
KatieLeighVOLS is offline   Reply With Quote