Old 04-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Flex Talk #7

Here's a place where we can discuss Flex and WW, as well as issues of our everyday lives. New Flexers are always welcome, so please join in, to give and get support and encouragement on your weight loss journey.

Flexers that attend meetings, At-Home Flexers, and anyone just curious about Flex are all welcome here.

Deedledee... Starting a new one of these too. We sure have been chatty lately.

suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #2  

blz - yikes, tornado sirens!

free - hrm, sorry to hear about your crummy weather too! I'd give you some of mine... upper 70's, sunny, breezy... but I'm too busy enjoying it myself to share

I just read this really weird article about how fasting can help people live longer. Seems kind of counter-intuitive to me (i.e., isn't not eating bad for you?), and I think it has only been tested on everything but people, but dr.s are starting to hypothesize that routinely not eating helps your cells respond better to stress or something by training them to handle it via fasting. Here's a link if anyone's interested in doing some reading. (This link is old, found it linked to in a more recent 2008 article, but I like this one better.)
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20030607/food.asp

I'm pretty sure that even if doctors decide that fasting every other day or even once a week can extend our life spans...... I'm not signing up. #1 Food is a pleasant aspect of life, while hunger is not. #2 Who wants to live until they're 120 anyway? I sure don't. Think of the financial consequences, or the medical consequences... And the social consequences of overpopulation and an ageing society (like we're having happen now anyway)... Yikes.

Anyway, food for thought, as it were.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #3  

Where are all my ladies? Hellooooo! You must all be out enjoying your Saturday mornings.

WI today was dismal, with a two pound gain. Yuck. Like I've been saying, I know what happened, and I know how to fix it. Appropriately enough, our meeting topic was EXERCISE. I came home and did a 40-minute TurboSculpt session and boy do I feel it! It was awesome though. I forget how good a workout like that can feel. After that I had a bowl of fiber one, strawberries, and almond milk... Things will definitely be better next Saturday when I step on that scale, let me tell you!

Well, I think I'm going to go find some hydroponic herbs or seeds if I have to so I can plant them and grow my own this year. I'm kinda tired of bottled herbs, and I have a little garden space to use, might as well! It's such a gorgeous day, gardening sounds lovely about now.

Hope you all are busy having wonderful days!
Old 04-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

haha i just posted in the old thread. i'll copy it here:

confession:
i ate a whopper on the way to jersey. do you know how many points that is? 19! and i'm even kinda lying to myself bc i had it with bacon and i didn't count the bacon, so that is ALL my day's points in one nasty sandwich!

well, i am approaching a huge dinner tomorrow and have already exceeded my weekly FPs by 8. I'm running my 5K tomorrow morning, and then I'm going to try try try to only eat veggies and some protein at the seder tomorrow. I don't see good things for this week's WI, though.

S

And then, today:
Yay! 5K done! 32ish min, I think. Forgot to look at the clock as I passed the finish line.
But now my knee is killing me and so I'm going to go shopping instead of going to the gym as I'd planned. Whatever. I ran a 5K today!
One last thing -- my parents drink tap water. that would be fine, I'm really not that picky, but the water here is NASTY. So I'm not getting enough water. I've finally convinced my mom to get a Brita, but she doesn't have it yet. I changed my WI to Thursday from Mon, so hopefully that gives me the edge this week!

Hope everyone is having a marvelous weekend!

S

Jaime -- sorry for your gain, but like you said, you know why! you'll do fine getting it off. And then some! And I agree about the gardening -- I keep wanting to plant seeds but then I remember that I'm moving out, and going to summer camp, so it doesn't seem the best idea right now! Enjoy the fresh herbs, though. Sounds great!

S
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #5  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

ALRIGHT, BODY, LISTEN UP.

You will not win. I am NOT going to quit. You can be stubborn until the cows come home, and you can stay at 200.x for a year and I WILL NOT QUIT. I am stronger than you are and I KNOW that I'm doing the right things. Eventually, my will will outlast your stubbornness. I WILL WIN. Just get used to the idea and surrender already. Each week that you defy me, I will work harder and longer until you're on the ground begging for me to stop. I'm giving you what you need, so just you shut up and drop this weight already.

Sincerely, Selena's Brain and Heart
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #6  
The Last 10lbs!

Go Selena's Brain and Heart!

Last edited by freedomreins; 04-19-2008 at 04:17 PM.
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:00 PM   #7  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

you go girl!
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #8  
The Last 10lbs!

I had this article emailed to me this morning and I think it is a good one for all of us to look at: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...les.asp?id=346
It's all about "diet rage" which the author compares to road rage. It makes some pretty valid points and has some good things to consider when you're getting tired of slow progress. I know for me, I lost a lot of weight at the beginning, like 2lbs or more a week, and now I'm lucky if I lose more than about 0.8lbs a week, which seems to be generally all I'm able to manage. But it's still coming off, so it's still a step in the right direction I guess!

I made a breakfast cookie for breakfast this morning. It worked out to 4 points. The recipe is over on the Breakfast board. It was pretty good, but nothing stellar, and took a bit more time than making normal oatmeal, so I'm not sure I'll attempt it again, but if you like chocolate and peanut butter mixed together (see, I'm not a fan of Reece's at all!) it might be just the thing for you!

Good luck shrinkinglizzy! Well done for doing the 5k even while you're at home. I found I didn't exercise at all when I was home over spring break (except for horse back riding and related activities). The occasional whopper won't kill you but holy smokes, that is a LOT of points for one burger!
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #9  

Quote:
The occasional whopper won't kill you but holy smokes, that is a LOT of points for one burger!
Freedom -- I know, right?? That's exactly what I was thinking. It also makes me realize how powerful it is to count my points, even when I know I'm over. It really makes me think about those sorts of foods in a different way! Oh and by the way, I just noticed how close you are to goal! Wow!!!

selena -- you're doing great! thanks for airing your mental cheerleading. We'll just join in

-----------------------------

So, I made it through the seder relatively unscathed...until I was confronted by my own neuroses while simultaneously explaining the horrible wreck that my love life has become (this was the first family event in 2 years that my newly ex boyfriend was not present for --> much explanation). Then, suddenly, desert became less about taste than about compulsion. Still, I think I could have done myself a lot worse, and the fact is that I was very aware of watching myself reach for another piece of matza farfel kugel as I choked back tears. Is there such a thing as being mindful about numbing yourself?

Anyway, today is a new day. Meeting an old friend for lunch and then heading back up to Boston. Hopefully this ride will be free of Whoppers!

S
Old 04-20-2008, 10:26 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

freedom- that was a great article, how true, thank you for sharing it

lizzy-hope you have a safe trip back to Boston

Hope everyone has a great week
Institches21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #11  

Sonja - great job on the 5k! Even despite the whopper, you're still awesome And yeah, I think you can consciously use food to numb yourself - actually I think it's important that you're aware of what you're doing. When you don't know why you're eating is when it's more dangerous, it's harder to stop. Glad to hear your seder otherwise went well...

Selena - Hey, I'm right there with you! Stupid body being so attached to the weight. Great attitude!

Free - That was an interesting article, and a great analogy - I definitely recognize the "but other people are moving faster than I am, ARGH!" issues. But of course when you get into someone else's lane you inevitably slow down anyway Thanks for sharing!

Gardening did indeed take place yesterday, so now I have a little patch that should hopefully start sprouting some zucchini, summer squash, yellow wax beans, and tomatoes at some point this summer! It'll be crowded but I wanted to get a bunch of things in there, even if it means I sacrifice some of its productivity. While we were cleaning out the garden we found this thriving patch of oregano that someone must have planted last year or something, so we just stuck some basil in next to it and the herbs are already half started! Gardening is fun but hard work. Between that and my TurboJam yesterday I definitely earned at least 6 APs.... And my muscles sure do hate me today!

Today's rainy and wet and chilly, I'm glad I got the gardening done yesterday. I think later I'll go for a walk with DH but other than that it's going to be an inside day....

Enjoy the remainder of your weekends everyone!
Old 04-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 262/ See Ticker / 150

Height: 5' 4"

"Does this junk make my butt look big?" ROFL! Great article and soooo true by my looking around me!

OK everyone. Today is day one and I can't find my scale!

OK.. found it wayyyyyyy under the bed. I don't remember when the last time I weighed myself. I even talk the nurse out of my weighing when I go to the docs and just tell her how much.... well, I was way over estimating myself. I thought I weighed 272 and I actually weigh 250.1. Dare I consider that a dramatic 1 day weight loss?? LOL

There is one thing that I am going to tell all of you who read what I post. I find humor in about anything. I think that it is my survival instinct. If you can't laugh at something you are going to cry and when I cry, I get headaches.

I have every opportunity to eat healthy where I live. We are on an acreage and we have apple trees, berry bushes, asparagus and two big garden plots (I can and freeze). Looking back (hind site anyone?) I realized that when I stopped gardening, that was when I started to actually gain my weight! That was about 4 years ago.

Well, this year is going to be different. Given the food prices and the vast amount of veggies and fruit I am going to be consuming, I am about to stand at the kitchen counter and plan my garden. So, how many activity points can I garner out of 2 hours of weeding?

Can I maintain this level of excitement throughout my journey? I can only hope so.

Oh and another thing.. I tend to ramble.
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #13  

We like ramblers, Chay, we all do it

@ your one-day weight loss, that's pretty fantastic! Always nice to find out you weigh less than first thought....

Gardening is for sure AP-worthy. Lots of squats, bends, reaches, stretches, pulling, pushing, etc etc... Just figure out what you'd say your intensity level is and how long you do it, and you can figure your APs from there. I got 2 APs yesterday from an hour of gardening.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:52 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 226/197.6/150

Well, I didn't do to well this weekend. I'm not sure where I'm heading to at the moment, considering last night I took a HPT & came out with a BFP. So, I'm calling my doctor tomorrow to get a blood test to confirm. I don't see why I can't keep OP, since it's about a healthy lifestyle change & not a diet that I'm starving myself on. When I was pregnant with my daughter, I got Gest. Diabetes & was put on a pretty strict diet for the last few months, I only gained 10lbs & had a beautiful healthy dd.

So anyways, I'll keep you ladies updated.
gemini1567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #15  

Suite -- I am so excited for you with the garden! That is so great! And like Chey points out, you will save yourself a bundle in grocery bills. Gosh, I wish I could plant a garden!

Chey --
You came to the right place for humor and motivation. Would you mind sending me some of your veggies? We're living on frozen over to save some $$ and it is NOT the same!

Gemini -- not sure what HPT and BFP are, but I hope you're OK. I didn't do too well this weekend, either. Let's help each other back on the wagon!

-----------------------------------------------------

OK! So, I drove home yesterday and ate and ate and arrived to John BBQing. Oh boy. Definitely had a "forget it, I'll get back OP tomorrow moment," drank a TON of wine, ate a little, and smoked a cigarette or two.
BUT, today IS a new day. Stepped on the scale and it is being kind (though the wine probably sucked all the liquid weight out of me!), and I am ready to start tracking and counting again. Actually a bit relieved to!
Time for some breffis...
S