3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Momentum / Flex (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/momentum-flex-222/)
-   -   1 point for half but 3 points for a whole? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/momentum-flex/138314-1-point-half-but-3-points-whole.html)

slm258 03-28-2008 03:28 PM

1 point for half but 3 points for a whole?

I just joined WW so this is probably a newbie questions.

I calculated the points for a half a cheese sandwhich- 93 calories, 3.5 fat and 4 fiber and it came up to only 1 point and that got my excited. Then I figured well if I eat two halves then its just 2 points, right? But then I put in double the amounts- 186 calories, 5 fat and 8 fiber but it came up as 3 points. That is really screwy- what if I ate half of one in the morning as one point and then another late at night- is that 2 or 3 together?!?! I'm confused.

kaplods 03-28-2008 03:54 PM

This is the math of estimation

when you round to the nearest whole digit, any remainder less than .5 rounds down and anything above rounds up

so it's very possible for 1 + 1 to = 3

for example 1.3 + 1.4 = 2.7

Not only can 1 + 1 = 3 this way, 1 +1 can also = 1

as in

.6 +.7 = 1.3 (1 + 1 = 1)

kaplods 03-28-2008 03:55 PM

Never mind, I asked a question you already answered

Hun.e.B 03-28-2008 04:11 PM

LOL...its confusing, the icecream bars are 2 points for 1 but 5.5 for 2!! Not that we need to be eating 2 but still...PMS happens! I'd prefer they broke it down to half points for us too.

suitejudyblueeyes 03-28-2008 04:17 PM

I think part of that discrepancy stems from the fiber counts - That anything four and under counts towards bringing the points value down, but anything over four just counts as four. So while 1/2 the cheese sandwich has four grams of fiber (and that in turn lowers the pts value), the other half might as well not have any fiber for how it's counted!

Now... you do raise a good point regarding timing - "what if I eat one half in the morning, and one half at night?" I think that's entirely up to you how you want to count it. The general thought with regards to 0-point non-vegetable foods is that if you eat more than one in a day, you count the points. So if you have 1/2c of Fiber One cereal (0 points) in the morning, but then you have another 1/2c as a snack in the afternoon, you have to count that second bowl as a point. Otherwise you can cheat the system too easily and get no results.

But in this case, since it's not a 0-point food, I think you could decide whether you want to count it as a whole or two halves if there's a large amount of time between the two... Depending on how you want to work it. You know what I mean?

slm258 03-28-2008 07:42 PM

wow thats confusing. i guess if i ever eat more than 1 of anything i should go back and double check its not going to be more.

Lovely 03-28-2008 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slm258 (Post 2122294)
wow thats confusing. i guess if i ever eat more than 1 of anything i should go back and double check its not going to be more.

They definitely suggest double checking 0 point (non-vegetable) foods if you have more than one serving. Fat Free Cool Whip is used as a example often. I believe it's zero points for 2 tablespoons, but that doesn't mean the whole container is zero points!

Institches21 03-29-2008 07:11 AM

Yeah those 0points can get tricky, specially if that darn slider stops on the line for 1pt. You just need to be honest with yourself, because the scale is not our friend all the time. Sometimes those 0 points are very tempting like I found a hot choc mix, by swiss miss, 1pkg is 0 points, and it counts as a milk, which I'm always looking for new ways to get in those darn points in, but if you have a second pkg you need to count it as 1. Also I've found most 0 and 1 non-veggies points, do not stay with you that long, so sometimes getting in a couple more points per item, stays with me longer. Like those haystacks, I Love Them!!

kelijpa 03-30-2008 10:00 PM

you should always double check, like Kaplods said, sometimes it works in your benefit because of the fractions, like one slice of bread on the slider might be 2 but if you're eating a sandwich and using two it comes to 3. I can eat 2 packs of my oatmeal for 5 instead of 3 pts. for one.

Suite's favorite Progresso soup comes to mind in these discussions, 0 pts. per serving but sometimes 2 pts. for two servings...plus sometimes bonus after-affects :D

The bottom line is, try to be fair and honest with figuring out your points (you're only cheating yourself if you try and work around the system), I think a general rule of thumb is if you eat 2 at once you double everything and then figure it out, someone might even have a time thing, like 4 hours in between or something, I don't know...anyway, make sure you check the serving sizes on your labels and do the best you can, nobody's perfect, we're all learning things together.

My leader says if it's on the line it's the next higher value, sometimes I'm extra precise with that slider so it doesn't touch the line :D :D

best of luck :sunny:

suitejudyblueeyes 03-31-2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelijpa (Post 2124774)
Suite's favorite Progresso soup comes to mind in these discussions, 0 pts. per serving but sometimes 2 pts. for two servings...plus sometimes bonus after-affects :D

Hm, I think you need some <sarcasm> tags in there, just so we're clear. :rolleyes:

:lol:

More fun math problems - 1/2c of unsweetened almond milk is 0 points; 1 cup is 1 point, and 2 cups is... still 1 point.

:shrug: Funny how things end up working out, just as long as you're being honest with yourself and not rationalizing a bunch of stuff because "oh this has to be 0 points no matter how many servings I eat" I think you'll be okay :)

kelijpa 03-31-2008 08:44 PM

:joker: you're right Suite!

I had some of this stuff called Voila last night, very garlicky shrimp scamp, we were pressed for time :moped: better off eating PB&J I think :D

shrinkinglizzy 04-01-2008 05:24 PM

wow! confusing!! but like someone already said, cheating the system is really cheating yourself. On top of that, 1 point on 1 day isnt going to kill you! Try not to get TOO caught up in the numbers. It'll even itself out, and if it doesn't, you'll know when you stop losing inches.
S