Low Carb Hot Chocolate

• I found this on a low carb site, tried it and really enjoyed it!

1 rounded teaspoon Hershey's Dutched Cocoa or other real cocoa powder (unsweetened)
    2 cap fulls DaVinci Sugar Free Syrup of your choice. I used Caramel flavor.
    1 cup boiling water
    1 Tbsp. Heavy Cream

Boil the water. Put the cocoa powder into a cup and stir in the sugar free syrup until it makes a nice paste. Gradually pour in the water while stirring to dissolve the cocoa. Fill almost to the top. Then lighten with the cream

• Add a tsp of instant coffee and you have your own low carb mocha. Very good!
  • Thank you, JerseyGyrl, for posting this recipe. I made some just last night when I felt really snackey...it did the trick. Very filling and comforting.
  • I made this as posted and while sweet and chocolately
    it was very one dimensionL. I think it may because I'm used to the carbier ones with nonfat milk powder that make it a bit thicker and richer.

I saw this recipe in the eades' book after making it and they suggest a bit of salt and cinnamon for depth. I think I'll try that this afternoon along with more cream and post the results. I love hc so I'll keep at it until it's just the ticket for my taste..
    Thank you for posting!! I nevef wouldve tried the eades' version but this one really caught my eye since you guys enjoy I consider it TNT .
  • so I made this this afternoon... while the water was boiling, I added the cocoa powder, 2 caps ful sugar free syrup, and about 2T cream with a small shake slt and 1/8 tsp cinnamon. stirred until creamy (was way easier to mix the cocoa once I added the cream). Then I added the boiling water, and 1/2 tsp instant coffee. I stirred everything, and added a little splash more cream.

In my opinion, there was a great improvement, though probably most of it came from the additional cream. the cinnamon flavor was nice but it didn't completely incorporate into the drink, which was fine with me. Using this version, I liked it better than the 25cal sf swiss miss hot chocolate.
  • Hey, Natalia! I thought of adding a pinch of salt the other day. Salt is supposed to bring out the sweetness. I'll have to try it now, since you did. Thanks!
  • I added a pinch of Cinnamon in with mine, and It's really yummy to me. I did add a little less water, it seemed to be a bit thicker to me that way.

Thanks for the recipie!