3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Miscellaneous - Phase 2 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/miscellaneous-phase-2-139/)
-   -   Sesane bars (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/miscellaneous-phase-2/252272-sesane-bars.html)

smarkey 02-05-2012 12:15 PM

Sesane bars

These are probably safe for Phase 1, but I avoided sweet things until Phase 2, so am putting it here.

When we go skiing, we usually take a tin of home-baked cookies to eat a lunch and on breaks - and on the car ride home. These are my alternative. I'll use them to take on hikes and bike rides, too.

--3 cups raw sesame seeds (you can also use flax or chia seeds or a mixture of seeds)
--1 ½ cups shredded, unsweetened coconut
--3-4 tbls peanut or almond butter or tahini
--½ cup honey or agave syrup
--½ cup date sugar (using less is fine – sometimes, I don’t use this at all)
--1tsp grated orange or lemon rind or ¼ tsp vanilla
--dash of salt
--½ cup chopped nuts (your choice, mix varieties)
--Chopped, dried fruit is optional – no more than ½ cup

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Spread about ½ inch thick in a greased baking pan (cookie sheets with an edge – or a jelly roll pan – work well). Lining the bottom of the pan with baking paper makes life easier when it comes to removing the bars. Bake at 300 - 325 for about 20 minutes. When the edges of the mixture start to brown, remove the pan from the oven. Cool slightly. Slice into bars while still warm.

I find it helps to press the dough in the pan while it's still very warm (use the back of a spatula) - and then slice. Helps to get rid of any space or air that will make the bars fall apart.

I wrap individual bars in baking or wax paper. Or I layer them in a tin with baking paper. They’re sticky, so Ziploc bags and plastic wrap aren’t the best way to store these.

CyndiM 02-05-2012 12:28 PM

definitely Phase 2 at best with the dried fruit, agave, and date sugar. I suspect date sugar is not SBD safe, but don't know enough about it. I know dates aren't a good choice because of the high GI so suspect sugar made from dates is probably also risky. I've never worked with date sugar, can something else be subbed for it?

*also wondering about the serving size between the seeds, nut butter and nuts. All that said I am intrigued by this recipe though I'm not sure I'd be able to manage portion control. They sound great for hiking when I need a quick hit of fats and protein with a little carb

smarkey 02-05-2012 12:34 PM

I've made them without date sugar, and they work fine. What I like about this recipe is it is completely adjustable. Leave out the date sugar, leave out the dried fruit, use nuts that are on the diet.

I have used raw sugar or brown sugar and both work fine, but you can leave them out.

I'm trying to learn more about agave -- there's lots of conflicting information out there. I used less than a teaspoon on an occasional small bowl of plain low-fat yogurt in Phase I. Worked for me, but that doesn't mean it's an approved food.

CyndiM 02-05-2012 12:39 PM

Great, I use coconut palm sugar on Phase 2. It's low GI, sustainable, and without the concerns around agave. (of course it's newer and not on the list so it's a judge for yourself ingredient) I think most chicks here avoid agave on Phase 1, kind of in the fruit category. I've had mixed results and can definitely get into trouble if I use it much. I save it for small quantities in baking and that seems to work for me. This is a recipe I might play with this summer. thanks

ETA - adjustable recipes are my favorite :)