NSV....I can run 11 miles, and I'm working toward 15 this summer! Woo!

• Running 11 miles was like a dream. When I first started running, I couldn't run for 30 seconds straight. I started at 268lbs. Running in a body like that is hard and I believe it was a few months before I could even run a mile straight. I'm still overweight, but it's so much easier to run, even if I am still very slow. When I ran 10 miles, I was tired. After 11, I was zonked. This was the hardest run of my life, but I'm hoping it is a stepping stone into some better, longer, and more enlightening runs. <3 I have this dream of becoming a long distance runner someday, where I run ultras. At least once, I want to run an ultramarathon. I know I haven't even been in a race yet, but I know that over the past two years, I've come to love my running. It's saved me in many ways. Depressed? Run! Happy? Run! Morning, noon and night, I can run for any reason at all. I can run when I'm poor or when I have money and sometimes I run twice in one day. My longer runs are meditation. It's my leisure time and my hard working time all in one. I am never, ever more free than when I am running.
  • Wow, itīs inspiring to find someone who loves running so much! I run (or jog) too, I used to be pretty good but after moving to Barcelona I stopped running, now Iīm running again but itīs harder than before. I used to do 21 kms at a decent pace, now my longest run is 14 kms and very very slowly! I hope to start loving running again!
    Your story is so inspirational!
  • Congrats!!!!
  • What is there to say? keep going!!
    Anything past 5 miles seems daunting to me, I aspire to be where you are.
  • It's attainable. I just kept on and on.
  • Awesome! Hold on to your dreams...I am betting that someday they will come true.
  • I am super-impressed, especially at your weight. I was expecting to see a 145 on your ticker and I get 181! 11 miles! Wow!

The most I can run is 3.5 miles and I am 196lbs. And trust me, that distance busts my butt! I'm hoping that having ran at heavier weights will allow me to go the distance as I lose.
  • Quote: I am super-impressed, especially at your weight. I was expecting to see a 145 on your ticker and I get 181! 11 miles! Wow!

The most I can run is 3.5 miles and I am 196lbs. And trust me, that distance busts my butt! I'm hoping that having ran at heavier weights will allow me to go the distance as I lose.
    I would say you're correct. I started running at my starting weight. It was HARD at first, but I was at nine miles before I broke 200. I'm slow, at 12 mins a mile for my short runs, and 14 per mile on my long runs. I'm working on my speed, and that's been my roughest hurdle. Don't worry. If I can run this far, you can too. It's just a question of preparation. It took me two years to work up to this far, and honestly, I'm pleased as punch to be where I am.
  • Quote: Awesome! Hold on to your dreams...I am betting that someday they will come true.
    Thank you! I will. I have big dreams, but you have to if you expect to achieve big goals.
  • That is awesome! I also use my runs as meditation time. The more focused and mindful I am of the run and my surroundings, and the less I think about other things in my life, the faster I go. I usually only go 3 miles, and this morning was my fastest run ever (36 minutes). Like you, I want to work on my speed.

Congrats and keep up the great work. You are an inspiration!
  • You are so amazing! I'm just like you, I've always wanted to be a runner. I started at 265 lbs as well. So far, the farthest I've managed is 8 miles, but I can't wait to hit 11 miles so day. You are inspiring!
  • Wow! I wish I could run like that! Do you have any tips or tricks? I've been walking and the most I could run is like 90 seconds and I...want...to...die... My knee problems don't help. :/

I hope to slowly work my way up to running a 5k race. That is my super goal by the end of the year. I need to just stop making excuses! If you guys can do it that so can I!
  • Congrats on your new record!!! What an amazing feeling!

I secretly want to do an ultramarathon too. Our bodies are amazing, I think we can do it!
  • Quote: You are so amazing! I'm just like you, I've always wanted to be a runner. I started at 265 lbs as well. So far, the farthest I've managed is 8 miles, but I can't wait to hit 11 miles so day. You are inspiring!
    8 miles is amazing! Don't worry. Eventually, you'll be way further!
  • Quote: Wow! I wish I could run like that! Do you have any tips or tricks? I've been walking and the most I could run is like 90 seconds and I...want...to...die... My knee problems don't help. :/

I hope to slowly work my way up to running a 5k race. That is my super goal by the end of the year. I need to just stop making excuses! If you guys can do it that so can I!
    When I started, I ran for like 30 seconds and walked until I felt not winded. My goal was to try and run at least one step further each time. My tips and tricks include: keep on going, as long as you're trying you're succeeding and be mindful of your body. If it hurts, like actual pain and not vague muscle soreness, you probably need a rest. Happy running!