Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 04-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/190.4/155

Height: 5'7"

Default down 11 lbs in 8 weeks and have figured out what works!

I was looking forward to posting here when I hit the ten pounds lost mark, but I had a bit of a whoosh and jumped from 208.4 to 207 - eleven pounds gone in eight weeks!

I can feel the difference in how my clothes fit, and already one person has noticed and commented. As the weather gets warmer it is great to feel more confident in summer clothes. Also excited that I will be visiting family in the Midwest in May and will be lighter than the last time I saw them. Thanks, first of all, to all you here at 3FC for the encouragement and accountability and advice - it has been really helpful.

More importantly, I have found what works for me. I want to share it here, with one caveat. We are all so, so different and what works for one doesn't work for another. We all have to experiment with our food and exercise and find what works for us, for our lifestyle, our budget, our family/living situation, etc.

So, with that said, what has been the secret to relatively effortless (compared to past attempts) weight loss in the last eight weeks has been really cutting back on carbs. I have insulin resistance and take metformin, and for years I've been diligent about eating "good" carbs - steel cut oats for breakfast, only whole grain bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, that kind of thing. But I could eat a bowl of steel cut oats at 8 am and (even with protein from milk and almonds) be pretty darn hungry by 10:30 or 11. If I had carbs at lunch at 12:30, by 3 pm I'd be pretty ravenous (inconveniently right when I would be going into an office meeting where people often bring cake, sweet bread, cookies, etc)

It seems for me even "good" carbs were enough to cause blood sugar spikes which increased appetite and cravings for sweets. I initially started following the insulin resistance diet which limits to 30 g carbs at a meal, 15 g carbs at a snack, and did lose, but when I tweaked and cut back carbs even more, the weight came off quicker and easier as I was just less hungry. I'm not an emotional eater, and I don't eat when I'm not hungry, and I generally ate healthy food...but I was just hungry when I ate more carbs which made weight loss so tough. I had lost weight on weight watchers before, but struggled with being hungry. I remember once that I was hungry at 8:45 pm and had already used all my points so I tried to go to sleep instead of eating, and that's when I realized it wasn't reasonable or sustainable for me. Cutting calories wasn't enough, I had to cut back on carbs (even the good ones), too.

I had always thought of low carb diets as really extreme, like eating nothing but meat and certain vegetables, which is what turned me off. I was afraid of fat and calories which meant that I overdid the carbs. Now with more protein and fats, I have more energy, my appetite is stabilized, and I just generally feel better. I realize that what I am doing now is definitely not the lowest carb diet out there, but it seems to both be working for weight loss as well as feeling sustainable.

So here's a typical day:

Breakfast: two egg omelette with steamed red pepper and spinach topped with homemade guacamole. Green tea with lemon.

Snack: a small handful of almonds (6-8) and some leftover steamed veggies or an apple.

Lunch: Lentils cooked with tomatoes, onions and spices and steamed kale with olive oil.

Snack: 2 Tbsp natural peanut butter with a small banana (if I need carbs to fuel and afternoon workout), or 1/2 cup cottage cheese.

Dinner: Roasted chicken breast,salad with lots of veggies with homemade vinagrette.

Snack: (if hungry) hot cocoa with 2% organic milk, unsweetened cocoa powder and 1-2 tsp of sugar.

For exercise I swim laps at least once week, run outdoors on the treadmill for 30-40 minutes, do yoga on occasion. I know I should incorporate strength training and that is probably my next goal.

I hope my experience is helpful to others to read. Keep up the great work everybody, we can do this! There is nothing stopping us!
SuperCecilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #2  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations on the weight loss! Utterly fabulous!

I could have written your post myself and I totally endorse how you are eating. You're right that it may not be for everyone as we are all so individual, but for some people this is absolutely the best approach. I'm thrilled to not be dealing with blood sugar issues anymore, and to rarely feel hungry, and to be losing weight with very little effort.

Good luck on the rest of your journey!
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #3  

Thanks, Novus. And congrats on your continued loss - you ARE an unstoppable force. Looking at your blog have been a guidance and an inspiration.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

I actually feel the same way with carbs. Unfortunately, when I eat similar to your typical menu I GAIN weight. It's like, I feel so much better, I have so much more energy, my blood sugar doesn't spike and crash, but I gain weight?!!
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #5  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

CONGRATS SUPERCECILIA!
Thanks for posting your meal plan too...
I was surprised that you completely took out the grains and breads.
Can't wait to read about your next successful goal
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

That's the conclusion I came to too. There are no grains that are good carbs for me. Veggies, OK (not starchy ones), but bread, any oatmeal, any grain other than quinoa is no way as when I eat them, I get ravenous and then it's really hard to stick to my calorie allotment AND I feel sluggish which then makes me feel bad and not want to work out. It becomes a vicious cycle!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:13 AM   #7  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Good for you!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #8  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCecilia View Post
Thanks, Novus. And congrats on your continued loss - you ARE an unstoppable force. Looking at your blog have been a guidance and an inspiration.

Thanks! We're gonna do this!!!
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #9  
Florence

S/C/G: 155/152/132

Height: 5'6''

congrats!!! i am a carb addict i must say... maybe this would be the key to my weightloss? it would be very hard to keep up though...
reading your succes cheered me up!
loser59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #10  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

I'm so glad you found something that works for you! I am so firmly convinced that for some people, carb restriction is the solution. (and for some other people, not)

Congrats!
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #11  

Thanks everybody!

Florencia - I used to think that this would be really hard for me, too. I once joked, "if I ever was told I developed in gluten intolerance and I couldn't eat pancakes anymore, I'd lose the will to live." But now that I am eating many fewer carbs, and am getting carbs from beans, lentils, nuts, berries, etc, I see pancakes, sweet carby stuff and I'm like, "meh." I visited a friend this morning who pulled brownies out of the oven and she offered me one and it didn't even take willpower. I just wasn't hungry and didn't feel like I wanted one. Some people at work brought in donuts the other, and again, I was like, "meh. Not really interested." If I really wanted one, I would eat a few bites, but I just don't really feel like it. We'll see how long I can keep this up - maybe it's beginner's luck or something, but for now it feels like I've discovered the secret to my weight loss. I only wish I would have figured this out 15 years ago!
Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 242/ticker/212

Height: 5'6

Omg am I a carb queen! In the past, I would be fine not cutting out carbs as long as I counted calories but after six weeks of ups and downs on the scale and feeling like I still didn't have ahandle on my food cravings, I'm finally conceding. Complex carbs are a no go for the next 2 weeks. Yesterday was day 1 and I actually felt pretty good.
foreverfaye is offline   Reply With Quote