Lost 18 pounds WITH adrenal fatigue! HIIT and opposite dieting strategies

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • P.S. Don't work out too hard on a ketogenic diet. Jogging or light aerobics is excellent. I lost 5 lbs in 3 days, and a week later it hasn't come back
  • P.P.S. I'm posting on my smart phone, so autocorrect probably snagged some wrong words, so I'm sorry if some of the sentences don't make sense. I can't always see the entire text box
  • Thank you for your response

I eat paleo diet. Mostly fish as my protein with a lot of vegetables. I eat a little Udo's Choice oil every day (2 table spoons) and fish oil (1 table spoon). When my fatique is very bad and i'm so tired and stressed out, i crave almonds and dry fruit (yes, those carbs....). But i'm extremely intolerant and my digestion goes totally dead and stops, when i eat almonds and dry fruit. And i feel sick like a have a the flu... Gotta stay off carbs from other than vegetables. Well, it is a big problem and have been all my life with my digestion

I haven't eaten gluten, sugar, dairy products for over 5 years now, and that has helped a lot with my digestion problems. I never ever eat it, not even a taste and i make all my food myself - never by processed food or things like that.

I also eat vitamin C, Mg, Ca, D, B-compelx, vitamin E, Arctic Root, Licorice Root Extract (600 mg), Chrome, Probiotics, HCI, and Enzymes every day, but i still feel that a need more/something else besides all of that.
    I would like to take some more adaptogens licorice. I drink licorice tea every day from organic roots.

My problem is, that i need extremely high doses to even feel anything or to just give a little respons, because my pain tolerance is non existing after a big operation 12 years ago and that have destroyed my nervous system big time. I live with chronic pain every day and my nervous system is constantly in alert after the operation. So my response to stuff is very bad. I never eat painkillers, because i get sick i my stomach and all of my body.
    I'm extremely sensitive to everything, from the food i eat (can't eat too much, too little, i need to eat at the same times every day because of my bloodsugar), noises, heat/cold, and my light sensitivity is enormous! I get so sick when i'm exposed to too much light, both winter and summer.

I live very "clean" and organic and i often crave protein. Therefore i began eating paleo long time ago. The paleo diet helps my bloodsugar, which very quickly gets too low or much to high both with and without too many carbs. I don't crave carbs during the day, it is in the evening, but not every evening.

Can you describe what you eat in a day, some examples from your ketonic diet? And have you tried other diets to help your adrenal fatigue?

Even though a have eaten so many natural food supplements for many months (the ones i have described here i still eat, but i have eaten so much more, all natural and what my doctor prescripted), i don't feel much better, unfortunately.

A couple of month ago a had a saliva and bloodtest done again (so that is 2 times within 7 month) to see how my response was, eating all the food supplement and taking progesterone gel. And i was so disappointed, because my morning cortisol was even lower than last time (and there i was also too low...) and my DHEA was much to low to. My progesterone was a little bit higher, but still to low on the scale. My free T3 is also still too low.
    I can't loose weight, the fat i need to loose, especially on my stomach (cortisol-fat) want get off no matter what i do. Until 2012, i have always been able to loose weight, without problems, but not now.

I have checked out swanson, but i can't by from them because i live in an EU country, so i will have to pay a lot of extra taxes. But i found out, that swanson has an website in England, but they are currently redesigning it....

Can you tell me some more about the swanson products you use? And how much licorice to you take and also your other adaptogens?

What does the niacin do for you and what does DIM and HIIT mean? Sorry, i don't know...

Kind regards,

Charlotte
  • this is so interesting. i think i might have adrenal fatigue ....

reanbean- what are the adoptants? is it a sort of herbs or vitamins,minerals??? is the licquorice that you take the same licquorice that you buy in store in sweets department??
    i take one multivitamin pill a day ....is that enough?
    thanks
  • Hello Reanbean, I too am from Iowa and am working on my Adrenal fatigue and trying to lose wt. I am trying the5:2 Fast diet. Have not been totally committed
    but getting there. Hope to hear from you I am looking for support.
  • Hi all,
    Sorry I took so long to respond. Adaptogens are usually herbs that balance your body. HIIT is high-intensity-interval-training.

I went off of my stupendous low carb diet for a couple of months (holidays!!) and put on 15 lbs, so now I'm going on an extreme diet.

Applecrisp, you may want to be careful fasting with adrenal fatigue. It can make your condition worse. I've been intermittently fasting the last 3 days, but I make sure to keep my carbs under 20g to stay in ketosis.

As of the last 3 days, I wait until 6pm or later to eat, and I have melted coconut oil mixed with Maca (an adaptogen, the only kind of adaptogen I'm taking now), and a couple drops of stevia extract. The first 2 days i also had a small chicken breast or lunch meat drenched in cheese, cream cheese, and ranch dressing.

Today I just had the coconut oil, and I'm seriously considering eating something else, but probably won't. It's 10pm, why bother? I also painted the walls for 3 hours. I feel great.

To stave off hunger the first day, I took 2g of L-tryptophan & 88mg saffron. The next days I skipped the hunger suppressants, and I took 400 mg magnesium and 600mg calcium twice per day, as well as a prenatal vitamin since I'm hardly eating anything. I only drink water, but when I got headaches I drank chicken broth.

The first day was very uncomfortable, with severe headache, but by increasing magnesium & calcium intake, and eating very little the first day, I only had keto flu for one day, and woke up energized, happy, and not hungry at all the 2nd day.

Liquid potassium or lots of potassium in pill form works wonders for sore muscles in ketosis, but I don't have any right now. BE aware that if you take more magnesium than you need, you will have watery stool, and might want to take less.

It's important not to eat more than 20g of carbs per day when you're significantly lowering your calorie intake, otherwise your blood sugar goes all over the place, you feel starving, and you rebound and eat a BigMac.

For me personally, I've had eating issues for years, so waiting until dinner to eat is literally the only way that my body will give up its precious fat stores. Other people can eat much more.

-what is most important is that you understand how carbs make adrenal fatigue worse.
    -some people say that going on a raw diet with tons of fruit will cure adrenal fatigue. Well it did NOT for me. I just felt more tired, and more starving each day. SEE WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU.

In the morning of the 3rd, I was 157, today (the 5th) I came in at 151.

This works best for me. GOSH THAT WAS LONG
    P.S. I'm writing this from my phone, so sorry for the typos.
  • One more thing. I took all of my adaptogens in extract (tincture) form, except now I only take Maca, and it's a powder. Mixed with melted coconut oil & stevia, it tastes like nut butter. Yum!

Licorice root isn't the same as the fruit twists. You can find it at most health food stores, and it would be in a brown dropper bottle. Most adaptogens also come in pill form, but they are not as effective.

Normally, I (used to) just put the recommended number of drops into a very small amount of water, swirl it around, and chug. Then rinse & repeat. I keep my vitamin costs per month under $50, so I've dropped most adaptogens. Plus, I obtained my master's finally, and I have less stress. These days I feel much better, but I can tell that I'm still affected, so I don't drink coffee, and I go to bed on time, And I try to laugh a lot. I'm blessed with a good boss these days.

I still feel tired a lot, but not the last couple of days. I generally feel great once my body is in ketosis, and has a constant fuel source-fat. Woohoo!
  • Reanbean, on the fast days I eat low carb and divide up 500 cal. for the day usually about 10am and 6pm. My plan is to do South Beach other days as recommended by my Dr. Thank you for your advice and will really see in the next couple of days what I can handle.
  • That sounds like a good idea. Let me know how it works out for you. I was able to lose about 12 lbs. just doing low carb with moderate calorie intake at the start. Now it's taking a little bit more effort on my part to lose weight.

I weighed in at 150 this morning. Woohoo 7 pounds down in 3 days!

I'm going to a tradeshow for the next 5 days, so hopefully I can avoid all of the food! Yikes!

Let me know how the dieting is going. I've never tried South Beach, only Atkins and the Ketogenic Diet. I also tried Jamie Eason's Live Fit program (2 months), and that was pretty much low carb. HOLY COW, she is crazy fit! She's my HERO! (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jami...roduction.html). To get into shape for a bikini modeling session that requires her to look softer, she just stops lifting weights... lucky...
  • Update: I've lost about 12 lbs doing my intermittent fasting in Ketosis so far, so only 3 more holiday pounds to go (145 this morning).

I WAS down to 142 at one point. I'm hoping that I can get into the 130's, and then I'll be closer to what I was after my husband and I were married
  • In my signature, I was either in the 130's, or the 120's, gotta get back there!
  • Reanbean, Hi I'm still fasting 2 days(Mon.& thurs.) 500cals. each day. Now I am looking into The Low GL diet. You seem very knowledgable about Adrenal Fat. and just wondered if you knew any thing about this diet? I have lost alittle so far and the fast days are getting easier. Now I have to find the best way to eat on non-fast days. I am reducing carbs slowly. It's hard I sometimes really crave them. Thanks for your input.
  • Great thread- thank you! I don't have CFS, but my poor diet and soda consumption were out of control so I felt exhausted from the moment I woke up in the morning. 2 weeks ago, I started high protein, low carb, low fat diet and quit soda and anything else caffeinated. The first week was ****, but I'm feeling so awesome now!! My energy hasn't been this good in years!!

One more thing- I want to tell you that I'm impressed and proud of your weight loss. Many of us would use those health issues as excuse to not lose weight. You faced them head on and kicked butt!!
  • Its great that you have found a vegetarian diet to be good for you. Although it is a mistake to keep protein low. I think the recommended about minimum is about 25% of the daily diet. You need to rebuild tissues and keep all that side of things going. Worth looking up to see what else protein is used for. e.g. hair condition, nails, skin renewal, healing in general. Good sources for vegans would be beans, lentils, nuts. Check out my salad in my vegetarian food diary in that section. Called, a highly uninteresting title A Diet Blog. Incidentally i'm losing weight easily and not doing any exercise yet. I think its also good you increased your calories. Sounds like they wear unhealthily low.

I think you are being scammed. I think if you would read this link and consider diagnosis of the other possible conditions described such as sleep apnoea, depression or adrenal insufficiency, you may find a better explanation of your symptoms when you are feeling them. Its a good article, clear and logical right to the end unlike the articles written by naturopaths that i've read e.g. a certain Dr Lam. And it doesn't try to bamboozle you with pseudo scientific nonsense.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...-fake-disease/

"The adrenals are a pair of glands that sit on the kidneys and produce several hormones, including the stress hormones epinephrine and norepiniephrine that are associated with the “fight or flight” response. Can you tire these glands out? In the absence of any scientific evidence, chiropractor and naturopath James Wilson coined the term “adrenal fatigue” in his 1998 book of the same name."\

"Fake diseases are compilations of various symptoms into conditions without any scientific basis. Peter Lipson has examined this in detail here at SBM. As Dr. Lipson points out, it’s human nature to want answers and to understand patterns of symptoms. Defining a cluster of symptoms in general terms is the first mistake. Symptoms need to be collated in a rational way to understand the parameters of the disorder. With adrenal fatigue, there’s no objective operational description, nor is there a validated symptom score. Using a vague list of symptoms to identify patients is the second mistake. While laboratory tests are advertised for identifying adrenal fatigue, there’s no persuasive data to demonstrate that blood or saliva tests provide any meaningful information, or are correlated with any underlying pathology."