3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Mini-Goals (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/)
-   -   Silly goal? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals/273675-silly-goal.html)

porchcricket13 01-18-2013 04:35 AM

Silly goal?

So my first exercise goal is simply to walk both of my dogs for 1/2-1 hour EVERY day. Right now we just go out in the yard and they do their business.

The only exercise I get right now is my job. As a vet tech it can be pretty rough, though not usually cardio intensive. I have noticed however that when I have a particularly feisty large dog to work with I am losing my breath and finding it hard to catch it again.

It seems like a daily walk for my fur kids seems like a silly goal...especially when last time I started working on my weight I jumped right into a strenuous 2 1/2 hour hike 3 days a week. I am way more out of shape than I was then though so I don't want to kill myself either.

I just don't want to feel like i'm not doing enough.

tiawyn 01-18-2013 04:49 AM

It's not a silly goal! Both your and your dogs will benefit from walking outside daily. I myself have to walk my dogs every day, sometimes twice a day for 15 minutes around the neighborhood. That's how I got started with my weight loss; having the responsibility for keeping up with the dogs. As a vet tech, you should know the importance of walking the dogs to keep from them chewing the house down xD It's a great place to get started and get motivated to doing other things :)

purplekitten7 01-18-2013 05:27 AM

It's definitely not silly! I normally find it easier to build up my exercise once I've got into a routine with one thing at a time. If I try and do too much at once I inevitably give up all of them after a little while. So this time around I am aiming for 30 mins a day, and one Zumba class a week until I get into routine with that, then I will join the gym and add a couple of sessions there, then add in some swimming once I'm used to that!
Also, since it's a very realistic goal - you'll be much more likely to accomplish it and then you get the little buzz of knowing you achieved your first goal!
Good Luck! :)

porchcricket13 01-18-2013 07:33 AM

Well i'm feeling a little better about this being my first mini goal. I managed to do a half hour with the 2 of them pulling me around before my back was screaming too much lol. So I will be attempting a half hour per dog separately tomorrow morning. It is WAY more difficult than I had imagined. They kept wanting to go in different directions and drag mommy with them! Keeping i mind they are 50 and 60lbs of muscle.

Misti in Seattle 01-18-2013 07:36 AM

It sounds like a GREAT goal! Good for both you and your dogs!

LOL sounds as if you are already discovering it will be quite a workout!

RNJen30 01-18-2013 07:48 AM

FANTASTIC GOAL!!! :carrot:

I'm kinda the same way. I'm a nurse an CONSTANTLY running around (especially now that everyone is on isolation due to the flu and they can't go get their own coffee/linens, etc.!) and I find myself sometimes sweating when I feel like I haven't really even done anything.

The way I understand it, ANY movement counts... no matter how pathetic or "silly" we may think it is. Start slow... get in a groove and once that's happened, you'll find you and your fur babies can go for longer walks and even runs at some point possibly!!

Good luck! :hug: