A year ago today...

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • A year ago today…

…I went for a walk. It was actually supposed to be day 1 of Couch to 5k, but I couldn’t even finish one 60-second run segment.
    …I weighed 274 pounds. (My highest had been around 285, and I lost the first 11 slowly, over a year or so, by not eating breakfast both at home AND at work.)
    …I wore size 26W pants and 2-3x shirts.
    …I hated shopping for clothes. I would find items in colors that I liked, try on the biggest size, and buy it if it covered enough lumps.
    …I was fortunate to have no health problems other than minor acid reflux.
    …I purposely avoided looking at nutrition information. I didn’t want to know.

Today…

…I went for a walk. A run, actually. 25 minutes without stopping. (I’m on week 7 of Couch to 5k.)
    …I weigh 175 pounds.
    …I wear size 14 pants/dresses and L shirts.
    …I sometimes shop for fun now. I try on items that I have no use for just to see how they fit & look. (I spend a lot of time shopping for things I do need, too, since I drop sizes regularly.)
    …I don’t have acid reflux anymore.
    …I count calories religiously and eat plenty of protein and fiber.

Am I bummed that I didn't officially hit 100 lbs in a year? Yeah, a little. But I know it's just timing (in the middle of my monthly water retention stall) and who cares, 99 is close enough!!

It is such a cliche but I can attest that a year from "now" you will be SO glad you started!!
  • That is awesome! And what is one pound? Girl, you lost a hundred pounds in a year. That is an amazing accomplishment! And it's not just the weight, more importantly, you are getting fit! Way to go!
  • WTG! Congrats on all your hard work and on getting healthy.
  • Fantastic job! The feeling of accomplishment must be awesome!
  • Fantastic job! I love that quote & your story makes it all the more meaningful. Keep it up!
  • Congrats, what an inspiring post!!!
  • I agree with berry - you lost ONE HUNDRED pounds in a year!!!!! You rock!

I can so relate to your list from this time last year, except I wouldn't even step on the scale because I didn't want to know what I weighed. Now, 3 lbs away from my initial goal, it's the highlight of every morning (even on the mini up days). So glad I started when I did.
  • Thank you!! Yes, I look forward to my morning weigh-ins now, I should have added that one I tried on my few old clothes that I saved, and I was just completely blown away at how big they are. And they were tight then!! I will try to get some pics later.
  • re:
    That is simply fantastic! You're right, it's motivating to see that it really CAN be done.

• Amazing, what an inspiration
  • Congratulations!!! That is awesome!
  • Way to go!

You'll be at your goal in time for shorts weather! Although you would look great in them now but it might be too chilly.
  • Congratulations! That is amazing.
  • Amazing!!! Congrats on all you have done...
  • thats awesome!!! Such a great inspiration! Im at nine months old now and I hate thinking I've wasted so much time. But Im so thankful i did finally get it!