3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Mini-Goals (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/)
-   -   Need advice on setting my mini goals (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals/253437-need-advice-setting-my-mini-goals.html)

Atkins loser STL 02-22-2012 09:44 PM

Need advice on setting my mini goals

As of my last weigh-in, I'm 344 pounds. The main goal I have right now is to be 199 pounds, it's just out of the 'obese' range for BMI and of course it's under 200 pounds. As I get closer to my goal I may bump that down to 165 pounds, which is 'normal' for BMI and a weight I haven't been since 7th grade. I would really like to set several mini goals since my main goal is a long 145 pounds away. I don't know where to start. Do I do every 5/10/25 or what? What has worked for you? What keeps you motivated? Any advice is welcome.

lilmisschattabox 02-25-2012 10:50 PM

I'm going to do every 5kg which is around 10lb. Seems like it's going to be a bit of work to get there, but not too much that it seems too impossible. But every bit of weight that comes off turns into a bit of a happy dance at the moment lol. And we need the pats on the back!! Good luck on your weight loss journey :)

mirax3 02-25-2012 11:21 PM

When I was 250 and just starting out I did increments of 20 until I got to 199. That's because the weight came off much faster when I was heavier. However, every pd you lose is a little victory in itself and don't forget to give yourself a nice pat on the back. :) I would say start out with bigger increments and when you get down a little then make them smaller. Good luck!!!!

jessica2231 02-27-2012 08:41 AM

Honestly I would say at first you have a minigoal for every 5-10lbs then later every 15-20lbs. Mini goals can be anything.

Ex.-
Got get nails done.
Go get eyebrows done.
Get a message.
Buy a pair of pants.
Buy a new dress.
Go horseback riding.
Go to beach.
Go to amusement park.
Go to museum.

Heres what a few of mine have been and sometimes when i relaize im not feeling to enthuzed i make up another minigoal for the next pound. Try to stay away from food being the prize. Unless for me one of my goals was if I lost another 15lbs before the state fair came then I could have a funnel cake. lol :)

Hope that helps!

kidjng 02-27-2012 09:23 PM

At Weight Watchers we focus on losing 5% of your initial body weight and then focus on 10%. These are usually small enough goals so that nearly anyone can achieve them without becoming overwhelmed.

So for right now focus on taking off 17 pounds - it's only 17 pounds afterall. Then set your sights on your next 17 pounds and then start over with 5% of your new body weight which will be less! And so on until you are eventually only trying lose a few pounds.

Hope this helps.

Jacks Big Mama 03-02-2012 11:55 AM

I'm working on losing 100 pounds. I've only been at it for just over a week...this time...which will be my last time, but the thought of holding myself accountable to lose 10 pounds per month seems reasonable and does not overwhelm me.

Of course I hope to lose more than 10 pounds per month, but 10 pounds is a reasonable number to me. Think of a number you feel comfortable with, and go for it! :)

Best of luck to you! :)

mammasita 03-02-2012 11:57 AM

I like using 5% as the first goal, then 10%.....but as everyone else has been saying, 5-10lb increments work well too.