Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 10-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Default 3/4 of the way to goal

The end is in sight! Of course, everyone always talks about how weight loss is likely to slow near the end, but I'm a bit ahead of my target line anyway (you can see my weight graph if you click on the signature link), and by now I'm so thrilled about my weight that I don't really care if it takes a bit longer to get there. I'm getting into clothes I haven't worn in years; I've gone from UK 12 trousers to UK 8 (at least in the style of cords I always wear); I've gone from being shy of full-length mirrors to happily looking at myself, even the back view; my collarbones are making a nice reappearance; and less usefully, I now have to use a yoga mat for stretching out on the floor because I no longer have enough padding over my coccyx to get away with lying on the rug alone. I've also just had a nice whoosh after several weeks of very little movement on the scale, so I'm dead chuffed about that too.

In less happy news, I was excitedly trying on old evening dresses to wear for my partner's mother's wedding, and looking at shoes and scarves and such, but we've realised that I really am too ill to go, considering the travel and that the hotel has stairs up to the bedrooms. We're thinking of trying to snag my partner's mother and her fiancé and going out for a meal at a nice restaurant, so that we get to see them and make an occasion of it (and I get to dress up a bit!), but still, waaah.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #2  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Good job! Congrats!

ETA: About being 3/4 of the way to your goal. Not about having to miss your partner's mother's wedding. That's not good. I hope you get to do something nice with/for them to celebrate.

Last edited by theox; 10-07-2011 at 05:24 PM.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Hurray for you! So close to goal that is marvelous!

I'm sorry you won't be able to go to the wedding, but I hope you're able to celebrate with them in whatever way you can
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #4  

Thanks everyone! It's funny, I'm thrilled to bits about this weight on the way down, and was probably dead mopey about even lighter weights on the way up.

I think the weight must be going from my torso last, as I'm closer to my larger bra size than my original one, and I still have quite the tummy on me. My waist-hip ratio has finally moved from the extreme risk category into the high risk category, at least, so I know it's moving. The scary thing is that I only started measuring 10 weeks ago. I don't even want to think about how bad it would have been at my highest weight - and while I was thoroughly overweight, at a BMI of just under 29 there are lots of people around with more to worry about than that. Do most people spend the majority of their weight loss journey in the extreme risk category for WHR?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Keep up the good work!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esofia View Post
Do most people spend the majority of their weight loss journey in the extreme risk category for WHR?
I went to read up a bit on this, and so I'm just blurbing my initial thoughts out. A lot of it seems to depend on fat distribution and where people lose their weight from first.

For example, my measurements currently have me at a .8 WHR. I lean towards being more pear-shaped in my weight distribution. BUT, clearly as you can see, I'm morbidly obese (still... and probably will be for like 2 years... /end mini rant). So while I might have an "okay" WHR, I am clearly not okay when it comes to plain ol' weight on the scale.

I also think that I might flip flop a little as I lose weight. Some people might lose fat evenly all over their bodies. Some might start taking off weight from the hips first. So they might actually start at a more normal WHR, but then go up a bit.... before coming back down.

And then of course, the whole "many facets to health" thing. Weight isn't the only thing that's important, and WHR isn't the only thing that's important. In conjunction they probably give a decent overall picture.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:29 AM   #7  

Oh, I know that, I'm just curious as to how I can manage to be well into the healthy weight range according to the BMI (and for me the BMI is pretty accurate) but in the extreme risk range for the WHR (e.g. 0.92, though I'm now down to 0.89). That's quite a disparity, especially considered that the BMI and WHR, while they may have their critics, are generally well-respected. Obviously a fair amount of it will be down to being an apple vs being a pear or any other shape, and I think some of it is having relatively slim hips and losing weight from other areas first (I certainly didn't have this big a tummy when I was slim, so I'm hoping it'll eventually catch up), but even so, there seem to be people out there who literally weigh twice what I do, possibly people out there who weigh three times what I do, and have a better WHR. Come to that, it's not that big a tummy, and it's never shown the telltale signs of being visceral fat. The whole thing is odd.

My current measurements, in case anyone is curious, are:

Weight: 113.6
Upper arm: 9.25
Chest: 37
Waist: 30 (smallest part of my waist, so above the trouble area, of course)
Hips: 33.75 (got stuck on 34 for ages, thought it was going to stay there)
Thigh: 19.25
Calf: 13.25

I've noticed people who weigh a substantial amount more than me having smaller chests and waists, while the other numbers are all higher than mine, especially on the hips. (Although I am measuring my chest while wearing an unwired stretchy maternity bra as they are the only ones I can comfortably lie down in, and I'm sure I'd get completely different numbers if I was wearing something underwired. Higher, I suspect.) Yesterday I saw someone here who was, erm, I think it was 40lb or 50lb heavier, 5" taller, 29" waist, and I can't remember the hips but I think it was over 40".

Maybe I just am a really weird shape, and that's why I've always found it hard to find clothes that fit. I'd been putting that down to a combination of being short and busty. It was actually worse when I was slimmer, because small sizes are pretty thin on the ground, and I could sift through an entire shopping centre and come out with nothing but socks.

Ignoring me for a minute, it seems that apple shapes (since I don't think I'm that atypical for an apple) are going to be off the charts for WHR even when they get to the healthy weight category, and pear shapes can have a healthy WHR while being morbidly obese, and presumably also while having worrying levels of abdominal fat. It sounds like WHR badly needs to be subdivided by body shape, not just gender, or at least made more complicated to reflect reality. The business with calculating a healthy waist measurement, one for each gender, strikes me as equally suspect, considering height variation.

By the way, has anyone here read or seen Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Every time I write the phrase "slim-hipped", it makes me think of that!