The NSV I never thought I'd see!

• Yesterday, hubby commented that I was looking thinner. Now, that in itself is a serious NSV. He is honest to a fault and even has used the three letter f-word when I have been ten pounds lighter.

But, I looked at myself nekkid in the full length mirror, and I agreed. From the side, it's still a bit thick, but from the front, it looks like my waistline is making a come back.

So, I pull out the tape measure which I have not used for months, and see a number which is lower than the number I seem to remember, do some math to calculate my waist-to-hip raitio (insert drumroll...)

.78!!!!

(insert fanfare!) A healthy waist-to-hip ratio (less than .80)!!!!

I have weighed as little as 129 (even a bit less) in recent years, but my waist to hip ratio was stuck in the unhealthy range. I figured it was genetics and/or age and it just wouldn't budge.

The difference this time is a combination of low carb eating and more time spent walking (I have a "walking desk" which for me is just a plank on a treadmill, and I am walking right now).

Anyway, thought I'd share the news and let those of you with surly waistlines know that there is hope!
  • Wow, great job! That's an awesome achievement!
  • Congrats.
  • Good job!
  • Thanks for Sharing, thats so fabulous!
  • Thanks so much! I went out and bought two pairs of new shorts today to celebrate!
  • That's so good. I hope you did a little happy dance...I would have Congrats!
  • It's the best thing ever when others notice that you are slimmer! Congrats!
  • Congratulations! It is hard work losing weight, but it's harder work changing your body's essential shape! Well done indeed. You earned those new shorts.
  • Great job!
  • That is really cool! I will have a new tool to measure since I never knew this one. Thank you! Awesome work! It's funny how sometimes I hear people say that exercising doesn't help. Yet it does!
  • Thanks everyone! I think when folks say that exercise doesn't help, they have heard studies that show that folks who add exercise don't tend to lose more weight. In terms of calories burned, exercise is a lot of effort per cookie. So, if *all* you care about is the number on the scale, then exercise may not be such a big help.

But if you care about your health or how you look, then exercise is probably more important, on either front.